Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: How to rotate OS X's display' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: jedik on May 15, '05 03:29:37AM

Try holding OPTION+COMMAND when clicking in the Displays icon in the System Preferences. ;)

This seems to work with iBooks and PowerBooks.

CAUTION: Try it at your own risk. As it's not shown by default, there may be a good reason for this.

---
:: Jedi Knight ::
-- Mac Rules! --

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: simonpie on May 15, '05 10:13:02AM

Does not work for me, I have a 17 inch powerbook of the first generation. But I did notice this, if one holds shift-option while clicking on monitor, you get the slow motion version of the transition between all preference pane and the monitor preference.

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: bromhead on May 15, '05 08:00:54PM

Works fine for me on my 17" 1.33 PowerBook with the Radeon 9600. Make sure you quit system preferences first before holding option-command. If you get the wrong keys you have to quit the preferences and try again.

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: auricgoldfinger on May 15, '05 10:19:03AM

Well... I changed it and took by accident 180deg. After changing, the option was gone, so I was in a little trouble suddenly :) But quitting system prefs and alt-click brought the rotate back and I changed it to normal. I'll try 90deg in a moment. Right now, the anti-aliasing is rather screwed up...

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: bakalite on May 15, '05 11:29:18AM

Guys, there is no alt on the mac. There is the Command (or Apple) key, the option key, and the control key.

In this case the poster means option. To get the rotate menu, do the following:

Close System Prefs.
Open System Prefs.
Hold down the option key while selecting Displays

On my Original Titanium G4 Powerbook the rotate menu shows up automatically for the cinema display, but not for the internal monitor. Doing the option trick brings it up for both. Rotating the display on the powerbook is no problem. To rotate it back to normal, just follow the steps above again.

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: wzpgsr on May 15, '05 11:53:33AM

That's funny. My option key clearly also says "alt".

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: JKT on May 16, '05 08:19:51AM

FYI, alt is used on a lot of non-US Apple keyboards in place of opt.

---
PB G4, 1.5 GHz, 2x512MB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80 GB 5400rpm HD, SuperDrive, MacOS X 10.3.9

Visit www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Art

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: Kludge on Jul 12, '10 09:34:21AM

Worked for me! Now I can have my MacBook Pro on it's side and use it as a text reader while using an external display as the main display.

15" MacBook Pro (2009) OS X 10.6.4

10.4: How to rotate OS X's display
Authored by: Kludge on Jul 12, '10 11:39:00PM

Oh, I should add I have to have a second monitor hooked up for this to work. If it's just the MacBook by itself it doesn't work.