Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files
Authored by: atverd on May 13, '05 02:20:58PM

Run mdimport -d1 on some mail file and give me the output,
then try mdimport -f -d1 and give me the output again. This way I could tell you exactly why it doesn't work.

10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files
Authored by: roger69 on May 13, '05 07:47:43PM

Here's the output of both:

[code]
rjw$ mdimport -d1 Orders
2005-05-13 16:45:07.319 mdimport[15269] Import '/Users/rjw/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/3pto0pgb.default/Mail/Local Folders/Orders' type 'dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zkvnxnu' no mdimporter

rjw$ mdimport -f -d1 Orders
2005-05-13 16:45:14.407 mdimport[15271] Import '/Users/rjw/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/3pto0pgb.default/Mail/Local Folders/Orders' type 'dyn.ah62d4rv4gk8zkvnxnu' no mdimporter
[/code]

Er, I could be missing something but these appear identical to me.

?

Roger

10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files
Authored by: atverd on May 13, '05 08:20:41PM

Ok, it should work. Check with GetFileInfo if the Orders file indeed has type TEXT and then run "mdimport -d1 Orders".
But there is another problem actually - since thunderbird saves multiple emails to single file the spotlight search will be inefficient - it will show you that file Inbox contains the word, but there is no way to show that this is the message #321 out of 34182 messages in total. This is how spotlight works and even Mail.app has this problem - Apple had to use some dirty hack to make it work as people would expect. So I'd stay with thunderbird's internal search.

10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files
Authored by: roger69 on May 13, '05 08:47:34PM

Nuts. That's a good point. I guess I'll have to wait for someone to hack Thunderbird. I have lots of personal mail saved there and the search just sucks. It would be nice to have them indexed.

Roger

10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files
Authored by: jmichaelson on May 14, '05 02:32:03AM

You don't need to wait. I use the autosave extension in Thunderbird that automatically saves incoming messages into individual .eml files. The methods discussed here could be used to index the .eml files as plain text, but the problem is that Thunderbird has a longstanding bug that prevents it from properly opening .eml files when they're double-clicked. So Spotlight would return the proper .eml file, but you'd have to use a text editor to open it.

10.4: Spotlight's rules for indexing plain text files
Authored by: Tom Robinson on May 14, '05 03:41:11PM

Apple's 'dirty hack' was to save each mail message as a separate file. In iCal they still have a single file per calendar, but the cache folder gets a new file for every entry.