Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to securely control another Mac over the internet' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: sdewidt on May 10, '05 05:11:23PM

I tried setting this up yesterday, but I couldn't get it to work. I think I did it all correctly; has anyone else gotten it to work, besides the author? I did have one question about the line that is in the saved terminal file. Does the IP address at the end refer to the IP address of the machine launching the file (ie his Dad's machine)? So, this is going to vary from person to person depending on how the router is set up, if I'm not mistaken.

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: steffi on May 11, '05 12:16:02AM

Why is it when I try to point Chicken at a 10.4 machine I get

"Incompatible Version"

??

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: SeanKaneFLA on Nov 01, '05 02:49:24PM

Anyone ever find out what the "incompatible version" error appears? I can't seem to get arouind it. I'm using CotVNC.

Thanks,
Sean

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: whitehat101 on May 11, '05 01:11:44AM
127.0.0.1 is the loopback address, so you won't have to change it no matter what the setup.

I first tried this with 10.3.9, CotVNC, and ARD 2.2 and I got errors when connecting (I was just connecting to myself) but then I saw that the link to 'the latest' was 2.1. I went back to 2.1 and I connected to myself fine. Now I just have to try it from my laptop, but I don't predict any problems. Other than it's Win2000, but putty and MetaVNC should work nicely.

If someone has gotten ARD2.2 to connect let me know, I'm not sure why they weould prevent VNC unless just to prenent what we're doing and make us pay $200...

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: sdewidt on May 11, '05 02:00:42PM

Maybe that's my problem; I've been trying to do this on two 10.4 machines, which have the newest version of ARD. When I get home from work tonight, I'm going to try it with another VNC server, OSXvnc, and we'll see what happens.

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: beaster on May 11, '05 07:38:26PM

Yes, sorry - when I sent in my original hint, ARD 2.1 was the latest release. I have however tried this with ARD 2.2 and got it to work. The only change I needed to make was actually setting and supplying a real password in the ARD config and the COTVNC client. For some reason ARD 2.1 didn't need a password, but ARD 2.2 does.

Regards,
Sean

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: jbgoode on Jun 15, '05 02:54:41PM
In 10.4 (Tiger), when I start the ARD service, it automatically opens several corresponding ports on the builtin firewall, and it doesn't appear that there's any way to get around that without manually changing the firewall rules.

OSXVnc has an option to force SSH by only accepting connections from localhost. This violates your builtin requirement, but better fills the secure requirement by only letting one port open on the builtin firewall.

Or maybe I'm missing something in the ARD preferences...

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: phatmatt on Jun 15, '05 07:05:41PM

If the "Dad" computer is behind a physical firewall (router) it doesn't really matter if the VNC software is opening up ports in the software since they won't propagate to the router.

That said, I like OSXvnc because I seem to crash the apple version fairly regularly. It can be restarted through ssh (if the ports are open) but that's annoying.