Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to securely control another Mac over the internet' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: MiStch on May 10, '05 09:12:07AM

Hm, good hint. But I don't really get the idea of using a reverse tunnel instead of a simple SSH login on you dad's computer.
The only difference is that the SSH port has to be open on your dad's end (potential security risk - is now on your side), but you have less configuration work.
You also get more flexibilty - as you can log in from any computer/router you want (your solution is permanently linked to your router ddnsname).

By the way: You normaly can set up the router configuration remotely - so your dad has not to worry about this (see router setup).

remote router control
Authored by: j-beda on May 10, '05 11:00:45AM

A lot of routers come pre-configured to NOT be remotely administatable for security purposes. Most routers have known default account/passowrd combos and thus would be open to nefarious tricks if anyone "out there" could mess about with their settings.

remote router control
Authored by: MiStch on May 10, '05 02:05:02PM

I totally agree. I just say it's technically possible if you really want to do it.

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: beaster on May 11, '05 07:17:57PM
Fair question - the main reason is, as you stated, I don't have to muck around with my dad's router over the internet to open up port 22. But beyond that, I also don't have to setup a ddns name for his computer and install and configure the requisite software on his box to keep ddns up to date when his IP changes (or worse, try to explain to him how to find his router's IP and AIM it to me or something).

Furthermore, if one of us is going to take the (relatively small) risk of opening up port 22, I want it to be me. I know that all the accounts on my powerbook have strong passwords, but I can't guarantee the same for my dad's computer.

Finally, I don't have to have my dad ask me why there's an account called "dummy" on his login screen. ;)

Minor quibble - I don't agree with your flexibility argument. If I'm travelling somewhere else with my Powerbook (but without my router), I can just reset my ddns name to point to my new IP by going straight to ddns.org.

Regards, Sean

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: dtungsten on Oct 25, '05 12:30:27AM

But you do have the (probably minor) inconvenience of waiting for the DNS to propagate.

How to securely control another Mac over the internet
Authored by: SeanKaneFLA on Oct 30, '05 12:52:49PM

dyndns.org updates almost, if not, instantaneously.