Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Set an all-white desktop background' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Set an all-white desktop background
Authored by: masjones on Apr 12, '05 10:17:13AM

Just out of curiosity... Why would you want or need an all white desktop?

Set an all-white desktop background
Authored by: rhowell on Apr 12, '05 10:29:32AM

Its great for taking screen captures.

or use Screenshot Helper
Authored by: markl2 on Apr 12, '05 11:02:08AM

Screenshot helper is a nice freeware program that opens a big window with whatever you want for a desktop background. You can easily choose a solid color, including white, or any of the standard background images, or really any image at all. You then put the window you want to capture on top of it and take the shot.

This way you don't have to muck with your desktop settings just for taking a picutre.

Link: http://homepage.mac.com/katsura/pgs/ssh.html

or use Screenshot Helper
Authored by: sjmills on Apr 12, '05 11:56:38AM

So rather than using a built-in desktop that's easy to set, you suggest going to the trouble of downloading an app and learn how to use it? I bet you're a developer, because it sounds like something I'd do. ;)

Set an all-white desktop background
Authored by: zpjet on Apr 14, '05 06:02:36PM

i use max zoomed new window of textedit

Why? Screen captures - but "Backdrop" is a great alternative
Authored by: ClassicUser on Apr 13, '05 04:09:21AM
White = neutral background for "clean" screen captures.

HOWEVER, there are much better solutions available, including Backdrop and Screenshot Helper

Why are these better? Instead of just a white desktop, which would still show your desktop icons, etc. on top of it, both of these actually create a full-screen floating white "layer". You can easily position this layer just "behind" whatever you're interested in, but "in front of" any other applications, desktop icons, etc. which you don't want to be in the screen capture.

Extremely useful - and yet easier to use than a simple desktop change, as well as more powerful. Check them out...

Set an all-white desktop background
Authored by: kikan on Apr 13, '05 05:21:12AM

I've read somewhere (don't remember where, sorry) that white pixels on a LCD uses less power on a laptop than black one.

---
Christian

Set an all-white desktop background
Authored by: freakindesign on Apr 14, '05 07:01:08AM

I have to use a white background when I am taking screen shots for the books I write.

Set an all-white desktop background
Authored by: osxpounder on Apr 14, '05 03:25:43PM

Get Constrictor -- it does screen shots, it's super cheap, and it has preferences for putting backgrounds, your choice of color, in place of the desktop. Saves you the bother of changing Desktop settings.

I'm not affiliated with it, merely impressed with it. Since my office already licenses Snapz Pro X 2 for me, I'm not even a user of it anymore. AFAIK, though, SPX2 doesn't let me change the background color behind captured windows.

---