Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Lossless adjusting of loudness for MP3 and AAC files' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Lossless adjusting of loudness for MP3 and AAC files
Authored by: atverd on Apr 12, '05 01:18:44AM

I've update aacgain from version 1.2 to 1.4.
There is no need to readjust anything if it worked before!
No changes affecting MP3 - only for AAC.
Changes:

1. For AAC files -t is always assumed now, this is mostly for higher compatibility with iPod Shuffle.

2. Bitrates in AAC headers are not changed any more and should look same in iTunes before and after adjusting.

3. Important fix for temporary AAC files placement - now they will be always placed to the same directory with source file (file looks like tmp*.mp4). Now it's possible to run aacgain from any location against files on other disk volumes.

Link is same.

Thanks to Dave Lasker for fixing these issues and Prakash Punnoor for porting the source code to Unix!

Lossless adjusting of loudness for MP3 and AAC files
Authored by: Anonymous on Apr 12, '05 03:21:24AM

I have replaced the old binary with a new one in my scripts' installer. The location is the same.

Pawel / Polonus

non ascii characters supported?
Authored by: kaz219 on May 03, '05 10:39:18AM

Does the new version of the script work with non ascii characters?
I have russian and chinese music for example, so I need the full unicode set...
Cheers, kaz.

non ascii characters supported?
Authored by: atverd on May 23, '05 01:44:44PM

It works fine with unicode headers. I converted a lot of such AACs and all of them still displayed properly in iTunes and iPod.

non ascii characters supported?
Authored by: kaz219 on May 31, '05 10:45:29AM

The completion dialog is prompted even if there is non ascii characters in it, and the file is still displaying correctly in iTunes, but my question was "Is the file really processed or not?"

In a previous version, it was not, as testified by polonus itself (see his comment on non ascii characters), and I want to know if it does now.

I think I will decide myself to give it a try...

Lossless adjusting of loudness for MP3 and AAC files
Authored by: joshburnett on Sep 07, '05 05:14:09AM

I'm using v1.4 of aacgain, and I've noticed that the '-s d' option doesn't seem to be doing its job. (That's the option to de-AACgain the file) I've created a copy of my original file (appending ' copy' to the file name), then run 'aacgain -r -p -t -k' on the file. In iTunes I can definitely hear the difference. But when I then run 'aacgain -s d' on the file, I still hear the difference in iTunes.

Also, I've used Polonus' script (nice work!) to try this out, with the same results. I run 'AACgain selected files' followed by 'de-AACgain selected files' and there's still a difference between the original and the modified file.

Any idea what's going on here? Yeah, yeah, I've backed everything up, but I'd still like my changes to be reversible, since the program claims it is.