Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

PDFpen | 31 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'PDFpen' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
PDFpen
Authored by: trollll on Apr 06, '05 11:19:43AM

as far as i know...the free pdf reader does let you fill it out, but it won't let you save it as a filled-in pdf. you can only print it, which blows if you don't have a fax machine. actually, it also blows since you'll have to keep the printed copy for your records instead of an easy to back up pdf.

PDFpen
Authored by: BillCole on Apr 06, '05 11:33:15AM

Anything you can print in MacOS X, you can print to a PDF.

Not in Adobe Reader
Authored by: Anechoic on Apr 06, '05 11:43:49AM

The recent versions of Adobe Reader block the "print to PDF" function in the print dialog.

I'm sure there's a way to hack around it, but if there is, it ain't obvious.

Not in Adobe Reader
Authored by: tadaaa on Apr 06, '05 01:05:36PM
There is indeed an easy way to hack around this -- all you need to do is create a virtual pdf printer. See the following: http://www.educationaltechnology.ca/dan/archives/2005/03/15/add-a-virtual-pdf-printer-to-mac-os-x-or-how-to-save-copies-of-completed-pdf-forms-from-acrobat-reader/

Not in Adobe Reader
Authored by: Mithindril on Apr 06, '05 04:56:26PM

This is a great hint. I followed the instructions and volia.

Very cool.

Not in Adobe Reader
Authored by: kholburn on Apr 07, '05 03:47:59AM
I tried this but my system already has a file :

$ file /usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf
/usr/libexec/cups/backend/pdf: Mach-O executable ppc

Not in Adobe Reader
Authored by: gschueler on Apr 06, '05 04:28:49PM

I found a way around it last year when I did my taxes:

Hit Print, then look under the Output Options section, there's a checkbox for Save as File. Check the box. Choose PDF from the output options. The Print button is now Save, and will save it as a PDF file.

At least, this worked for me back then...

Not in Adobe Reader
Authored by: masjones on Apr 06, '05 11:45:39PM

Just be aware that if you save a document using this method it is no longer editable. So make sure you have it exactly the way you want it or you will be doing it over.

PDFpen
Authored by: feelgood on Apr 06, '05 12:47:20PM

Reader does let you save filled-in text, if the document allows it. If it does not allow it, save to PDF may not work either.

I used a fill-in PDF from irs.gov for my taxes this year and saved a copy, no problem. My state's fill-in form, however, did not permit saving the filled in data. I tried using save to PDF and a PDF workflow item and it would not allow it (curse you, Arkansas!). I finally had to just take a screen shot for my records. Though, once I discovered a mistake, I had to start all over again.

Adobe Reader 7
Authored by: timcrawf on Apr 06, '05 02:59:19PM

These are for forms made using a new option that allows the end user to fill in and save forms. It will only work if the forms are this new type and if you use Adobe Reader 7