Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Recover a dead hard drive using dd' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: melo on Mar 04, '05 11:10:41AM

Much better: check out dd_rescue and it's frontend dd_rhelp.

I recently had hard drive problems and with those two utilities I could restore most of my hard-drive (lost 12kbytes).

dd_rescue: http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
dd_rhelp: http://www.kalysto.org/utilities/dd_rhelp/index.en.html
my rescue day: http://www.simplicidade.org/notes/archives/2005/02/recover_day.html

Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: pelooyen on Dec 05, '05 04:09:06AM

sorry for being a newbie, but how does one compile ddrescue? I am desperately tryig to recover a dead WD. I have 10.2.8, but also Tiger on a laptop

Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: melo on May 05, '06 02:51:21AM

Compiling dd_rescue worked for me out of the box. the following commands did the trick.

curl -O http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/dd_rescue-1.11.tar.gz
tar zxf dd_rescue-1.11.tar.gz
cd dd_rescue/
make

This will compile dd_rescue 1.11, the latest version at the time I write this. Check the homepage to see if there is a more recent version.

You need the Apple Developer Tools, freely downloadable from the Apple Site.

Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: bitzar on Feb 06, '06 10:14:21AM

I've been trying to use dd, dd_rescue and dd_rhelp for about 6 days now to recover an 80GB NTFS drive through OSX on an intel iMac.

The drive always gets to one of 2 points (1.44GB or 4.5GB) and stops responding. The hdd's active light does not indicate any activity and the control c will not stop the program. If I were using dd_rhelp, this is where it would write the log file.

The -r option on dd_rescue does not seem to work to make the job run in reverse, it runs and then finishes the job quickly without copying any data.

The start position parameter does not seem to work either. The dialog immediately following the the command reflects that I entered a start position but the drive still works through from the beginning and pauses at 4.5gb instead of just starting at 5gb.

Did you have a need to experiment with these options? Is there any advice you can provide?

It's been awhile since this poster posted originally, does anybody else have any advice?

Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: melo on May 05, '06 02:53:31AM

Hi,

I did not need to deal with any parameters. I guess I was lucky. I would try the -r but apart from that I sorry I can't help you further.

Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: stephensan on May 10, '06 10:39:58PM

Melo (or anyone else),
You seem to have a relatively good grasp on dd_rescue... so I offer you my question.

I was able to use Darwin Ports to successfully install dd_rescue on 10.3. Everything looks great, but... when I run it with this command:

dd_rescue -v /dev/disk3s10 /dev/disk2s10/

I get this error:

dd_rescue: (fatal): open "/dev/disk2s10/" failed: Device busy

disk3s10 is my bad external drive (115 Gb)
disk2s10 is my good external drive (229 Gb)

disk2s10 is a clean partition, on a brand new drive (2 partitions total)

I feel like I've searched everywhere, yet I still can't figure out why I'd get this error.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Stephen

Recover a dead hard drive using dd
Authored by: Superboy on Jul 24, '06 04:11:43PM

I think you need to put a filename at the end of the path:

dd_rescue -v /dev/disk3s10 /dev/disk2s10/mydisk.dmg

Otherwise it's trying to overwrite the whole of your disk3s10 disk...

Hope that helps!