Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'A script to set CPU processing speed' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: jzdziarski on Mar 03, '05 03:51:46PM

There's also a great little menu app here: http://web.telia.com/~u60527006/
designed specifically to set the CPU levels for both ac and battery.

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: rgray on Mar 03, '05 04:38:09PM
There's also a great little menu app here: http://web.telia.com/~u60527006/ designed specifically to set the CPU levels for both ac and battery.

Which file in particular???

Index of /~u60527006

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: jzdziarski on Mar 03, '05 06:01:09PM

which one do you think?

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: Brad Puett on Mar 03, '05 11:27:57PM
which one do you think?
... I don't know ... maybe dk.jpg ??!

Instead of a(nother) sarcastic response, how about just telling us and then we'll ALL know!!

(BTW, I would have thought cpuPerformance-0.6.1b and cpuPerformance would have pointed to the same file, but since they each have a different size ... ; of course, I would have also thought cpuPerformance-0.3b, cpuPerformance-0.4b and cpuPerformance-0.6.1b would have different last modified dates from each other, but since they don't ... )

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: rgray on Mar 04, '05 08:27:39AM
Thank you, Brad. I restrained myself from jumping on this when I first saw it last night (sober second thought and all...). Five files all with the same date. We all know how important versions can be and that latest isn't always best.
    If one is going to give a link, why not
  • 1. make it accurate,
  • 2. make it a proper clickable link,
  • 3. make it point to the the actual author's site instead of blythly pumping up versiontracker (etc.) counts.

When one gets a sarcastic response such as that above, one is inevitably led to suspect that its author does not actually know! Blowing smoke just wastes everybody's time.

I haven't had a moment to follow up here testing the various versions so I still don't know.....

I thought the ethos here was to be helpful.... 'nuff said.

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: sjonke on Mar 04, '05 09:02:39AM

Who do you think is an ass?

---
--- What?

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: raider on Mar 07, '05 02:14:30PM
OK, since no-one is really explaining this to anyone, and the purpose of this site is to HELP people, I figured I would explain what I found here:

OK. I downloaded both
cpuPerformance-0.6.1..> 25-Nov-2004 19:29 14k
cpuPerformance.menu.zip 25-Nov-2004 19:29 16k

I found that the 0.6.1 version, after unzipping, had the latest file date.

The way you "install" the menu item is to double click on the .menu file. It will add it. But you want to make sure that you have it in the place that you want it to reside before you install it.

I chose
/Library/Menu Extras/
as the place I put mine.

It works as advertised, however the change won't be "visible" if you have System Prefs open at the time. But if you close and reopen System Prefs the change shows up. The icon of the 0.6.1 version is not the same as the one in the screenshots, but a monotone version that better fits in the menubar.

To uninstall, you simply hold Command and drag it off the menu bar. Then you will want to delete the .menu file. I found that I had to log out and log back in before I could delete the menu file, as it kept claiming it was in use - even though there was no process using it... (strange).

I also found that if I command dragged it off the menu bar and then re-added it, the icon didn't show up. If I logged out and back in, and added it then the icon showed up. I am not sure if it is flaky, or just the add/remove from the menu bar that is being flaky.

And finally - this is all YOUR RISK. I have no idea who wrote this utility, or what it is behind the scenes. Little Snitch hasn't reported any strange activity, and I haven't seen any adverse effects. But there is very little accountability in this as they are simply files on a server.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY
BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED
IF USED IMPROPERLY SEVERE INJURY AND/OR DEATH COULD OCCUR

A script to set CPU processing speed
Authored by: rgray on Mar 08, '05 09:27:06AM
Thank you, raider, for the real help. I just finished similar research with a similkar conclusion, and came back to post only to find you'd beaten me to it...... No need for me to post my findings - they are the same.