Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Synch iCal via FTP using Transmit' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Synch iCal via FTP using Transmit
Authored by: jcbeckman on Mar 03, '05 09:28:53AM

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't just publish the calendars with iCal via webdav. That what I do to get them to phpicalendar. No extra scripting required, just fill in the dialog box.

how to publish with iCal?
Authored by: newformula on Mar 03, '05 09:55:07AM

Could you explain how you get phpicalendar to do this? I have tried but to no avail. Details on what to input in the publish box would be great, and if you changed any permissions on your server as well. I was under the impression that you have to enable php write access to your calendars folder, and I have no idea how to do this!

how to publish with iCal?
Authored by: jcbeckman on Mar 03, '05 02:10:25PM

I use Panther Server, so it was just a matter of making a "realm" on my server that pointed to the calendars directory in phpicalender. Then in iCal you fill in the "publish" dialog with webcal://myserver.mydomain.com/phpicalendar/calendars/myCalendarname.ics

iCal will ask for the username and password.

Just copying the .ics files might lose data
Authored by: tjp on Mar 04, '05 02:31:06AM

I have to reinforce the suggestion to use the phpicalendar publish.php method over FTP. I've done a fairly large phpicalendar implementation for a public site with calendar data managed by a number of people with varying technical skill levels. We tried a variety of methods for delivering .ics files to the webserver, including AFP mounts and FTP. We found that, over time, recent calendar data was missing from the posted calendar files. After looking more closely, I found that there are a number of cache files within the user's Library folder that are separate from the main Library/Calendars/*.ics files and show more recent modification times than the main files at times.

I never took the time to prove it for sure, but strongly suspect that issues of timing along the lines of "are the files copied while iCal is running," or perhaps simply user error poking around with the files were the cause. I shifted over to publish.php in iCalendar 1.0 and had no problems with missing data since. Who knows, this behavior could change from one rev of iCal to the next, but that's part of the point. You can be pretty sure that Apple's going to make sure the publish function within the app is going to submit all of the latest data, no matter how it's implemented.

And, if that wasn't even a concern, the interface couldn't be easier using the publishing method. Once the webdav publishing is configured, you can have the calendars automatically published on any change, any changed calendar can be published with a simple cmd-R while it's active or all calendars published with shift-cmd-R.

Works great, lasts a long time.

Just copying the .ics files might lose data
Authored by: dogboy on Mar 07, '05 04:52:02PM

Fair enough. I have moved to this now. The hint was a result of many wasted hours trying to find a way to publish my iCalendars without Webdav or .Mac.

Synch iCal via FTP using Transmit
Authored by: geekpunk on Mar 04, '05 09:10:28AM

agreed... i use phpicalendar... using web dave and its dead simple...

if your running apache look at the docs, for apache 2, its literaly 1 directory directive to turn on webdav, do so for the caldendars folder in your phpicalendar install.

Then you subscribe/publish from ical change from .mac to webdav... fill in the blanks and your ready to go.... updates as you update etc

Synch iCal via FTP using Transmit
Authored by: Nikolay Komarov on Apr 21, '06 01:59:43AM

It's not as easy as you say!
iCal itself doesn't support remote calendars, and if you publish some calendar to subscrobe to t from some other computer, your calenar will be read-only there.
The only known workaround for this is mounting a remote webDAV-share and putting this folder instead of the iCal's working folder (described here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050414182034814 )