Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network
Authored by: joel on Feb 26, '05 04:43:06PM
Finally... I bought this printer months ago to print over my wireless network from my Powerbook to my HP LaserJet 1012 connected to a windows machine. I hacked PPD files, drivers, etc... and finally found the magic resources

1) Go to http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/foomatic/. Download both the foomatic-RIP and the esp Ghostscript dmg files, mount them, and install the contents.

2) Go to http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_1012. Next to "Recommended driver: pxl1010" click the "download PPD". Take the file and drop it into the folder /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj.

3) Open Print Center and click the "Add" button to add a new printer. I found the printer using "Windows Printing" and navigating to the machine (via the MSHOME workgroup.). Note: I believe navigating or logging in was broken in some versions of 10.3 but it works now with 10.3.8. Then, when you select the printer, select "HP" as your printer type and it will show you a list of a bunch of printers. Use the driver "HP LaserJet 1012 Foomatic/pxl1010 (recommended)"

That should be it and it should work (or at least it did for me). I'm trying to post these instructions in a few places because I've been trying to figure this out on and off for months.

Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network
Authored by: phredd on Jun 12, '05 11:56:45AM

THX JOEL!!!! THIS WORKED FOR ME!!!! WAHOO!!!! This printing has been an issue for me since Jan05...working now!

---
Thx,
Phredd

Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network
Authored by: poocat on Oct 17, '05 10:46:54PM

Just wanted to note that this also worked flawlessly for a previously stubborn HP LaserJet 1160 (connected via USB to a Windows machine) through the workgroup. Excellent information, thanks!

---
"Not wealthy, not weeping."
-Robert A. Heinlein, the moon is a harsh mistress

Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network
Authored by: joel on May 20, '06 09:00:01AM

As a side note: I just upgraded to a MacBook and this tip still works even though it's a MacIntel machine.

Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network
Authored by: melbrl on Jun 07, '06 12:37:59PM

Hi Joel,
I upgraded as well to the MacBook Pro, but was unable to get this tip to work. This had helped me with the Powerbook, but it doesn't seem to be working for me now. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Printing to LaserJet 1012 connected to a Windows Box over network
Authored by: melbrl on Jun 07, '06 10:03:06PM

Never mind. I had downloaded the wrong PPD and was trying to use that one. Once I got the right PPD, it worked just fine.

Thanks again for posting the solution.