Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps
Authored by: Bioinformatics on Jan 31, '05 02:09:21PM

From what I've read elsewhere, iWord <i>can</i> count words, its just not on the top menu, but buried further down. I can't help you with where, but at least you know to look! But nice hint all the same.

WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps
Authored by: robg on Jan 31, '05 03:12:58PM

Pages *can* count words. It cannot count words in a selection. I've looked, read the manual, taken the user's tour, tried every menu selection with and without a selection active ... if it's in there, I have no clue where it's hiding.

The overall count is in the Document tab of the inspector, on the Info tab of that tab (if that makes sense :)). It gives you all sorts of counting stats, but they are for the entire document. This is the only word count option mentioned in the manual.

Until someone proves me wrong, I don't see any way to count words in Pages unless you want the count in the total document. I've probably spent a good three hours looking for it, scattered over my time with the program.

-rob.

WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps
Authored by: adrianm on Jan 31, '05 05:45:22PM

3 hours looking for a selection word count? You should get out more.
:-)

WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps
Authored by: robg on Jan 31, '05 06:01:17PM

Hehe ... I was involved anyway, doing the writeup for Macworld. So off and on, I went digging. It seems so ... obvious. But no, not there, near as I can tell.

-rob.

WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps
Authored by: dbmartyn on Feb 01, '05 12:10:05AM

To get a Word count in Pages select the 'document inspector' and then select the 'info' tab.

WordService - Add useful text handling to Cocoa apps
Authored by: robg on Feb 01, '05 09:38:39AM

Please read the comments -- you cannot get a word count for a *selection*, only for the entire document.

-rob.