Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote
Authored by: warren on Jan 28, '05 11:41:25AM

I also don't have the apps to try it out myself, but might the old trick of printing to PS first, and converting it to PDF with Preview work here as well?

Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote
Authored by: barryjaylevine on Jan 28, '05 12:00:13PM

Following the previous advice, I printed to postscript, then dropped the resulting file onto Acrobat (which launched Distiller, converted the file, and opened it within Acrobat). The drop shadow appeared and printed.

While this isn't a fair comparison, Pages generated a 4K pdf while, working from the "print to PS" file (from Pages), Acrobat generated a 20K pdf. I'm sure there's a bit of overhead so maybe the difference isn't as dramatic once the file size (within Pages) grows.

I'll leave that for others to determine.

---
-----
Two things in this world aren't overrated: Macintosh and Lemon Meringue Pie.

Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote
Authored by: Baggins on Jan 28, '05 12:06:59PM

This does work. I printed the default newsletter template with output set to postscript. Then I opened in Preview, and let it convert to PDF. Then I saved the PDF and opened it in Acrobat. Drop Shadows were preserved.

However, the file size went from 682K to 10.6 MB. A little poking around showed that this is because Preview converts PS to PDF by rasterizing the image (you can see this if you zoom in to about 800%; the pixelation becomes noticeable).

Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote
Authored by: rhowell on Jan 28, '05 02:45:16PM

Strange. When I print this web page to postscript, let Preview convert it to PDF, and then view the PDF in Acrobat, there are no new rasterized objects. Zooming to 600% shows smooooooth fonts.

Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote
Authored by: _merlin on Jan 31, '05 06:58:12AM

Preview doesn't rasterise Postscript files when it converts them to PDF. The print engine rasterises some objects when it creates a Postscript file. Shadows can't be described any other way in Postscript, so they're rasterised. Then Preview gets a Postscript file containing rasterised shadows, and makes a PDF with rasterised shadows.

Workaround the 'no shadows' bug in Pages and Keynote
Authored by: aptenergy on Feb 26, '05 09:38:26PM

It would, except the ps to pdf conversion doesn't work. I have a particular Keynote file which generates an error when the PS conversion is converted to PDF:

%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: %ztokenexec_continue ]%%
AFPL Ghostscript 8.14: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

I tried simpler Keynote presentations and they don't give this error, so I'm wondering what's up. (the PS to PDF conversion also does not work in Preview nor in Adobe Distiller.)