Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Avoid a bad iPhoto5 'vanishing album' bug' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Avoid a bad iPhoto5 'vanishing album' bug
Authored by: exsilio on Jan 25, '05 06:52:42PM

Thanks for the tip.

I would just like to comment that I have not had this issue. I created over 20+ albums and dropped them the "bad" way, with zero vanishing files or folders.

So my thinking is that the problem might be something other than solely within iPhoto 5.

Avoid a bad iPhoto5 'vanishing album' bug
Authored by: pglock on Jan 25, '05 08:56:31PM

There will probably be a long thread on this, judging from the traffic on the Apple Discussion Board:

My contribution after suffering the 'lost thumbnails' issue and some corrupted pictures is to give a brief hint on how to import pictures into iPhoto 5 from 4 if all else fails:

• Before firing up any version of iPhoto, duplicate your iphoto library and rename the copy to "iPhoto Library4" or anything else you like.
  • Follow the other hints on upgrading given in the iPhoto forum.
  • If you run into upgrade problems then:
  • Quit iPhoto
  • Delete the iPhoto Library in your 'Pictures' folder Not the backup "iPhoto Library4"
  • In the finder, press 'Command+F'
  • Click the 'Add' button next to 'Search in specific place' drop down
  • Browse to your backup "iPhoto Library4", select it then 'Choose'
  • Run a search for files with extension '.jpg', size greater than 50k. This should bring up all of your photos, but without the thumbnails.
  • Start iPhoto5 and select 'Create new library' option.
  • Select the find window with all your .jpg and press 'Command+A' to select all pictures.
  • Drag and drop into the blank iPhoto window

---
    Too lazy to think of an original signoff...

Frozen with Fear
    Authored by: Spiritman on Jan 25, '05 09:46:44PM

I have 15,000 photos in iPhoto 4......which seems to be totally bug free aside from the export command, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but you can sometimes drag originals out.....I wonder if there is a performance improvement in iPhoto5 and I also need an approach to deal with the issue that I may be adding 6-8000 a year. Supposedly there is a 25,000 limit.....although Jobs at the Keynote said he had 25,000 in his computer....Picasa will handle 250,000!!!

Frozen with Fear
    Authored by: taxi on Jan 25, '05 11:26:45PM

I'm looking forward to iPhoto 5, simply for the heirarchical album feature. I want to be able to have all of the Wedding photos grouped together, and then split into individual weddings, for instance.

And I hope it doesn't crash as often. It just brought down my whole system - as I was trying to write this comment the first time around!

(Bad enough crash that everything freezes, and I had to hard reboot!)

Frozen with Fear
    Authored by: MacDork on Jan 26, '05 08:33:54AM

Try out iPhoto Buddy -- it lets you create several iPhoto libraries. This allows you to break up the photos into logical groupings and keeps the number of photos down to a more manageable (*cough* snappier *cough*) size.

It's overall rating is 4.7 out of 5 at versiontracker, and i've been using it for a while now (since iPhoto 3).

25K Plus
    Authored by: mahuti on Jan 26, '05 10:55:58AM

With iPhoto 4, I have about 25,500 pictures with no major issues. Perhaps I should back up if I'm going to keep adding more.

---
    -mahuti

25K Plus
    Authored by: lavar78 on Jan 26, '05 05:57:23PM

Um, you should back up anyway. Think of how you'd feel if you lost some or all of those 25,500 photos.

25K Plus
    Authored by: mahuti on Jan 26, '05 08:17:01PM

I use iPhoto as a way to store client images in a place where I can browse them all. If it got damaged, I wouldn't really care. I don't do anything too special with them. If the file got damaged, I'd just re-add them.

Thanks for your "concern"

---
    -mahuti

Avoid a bad iPhoto5 'vanishing album' bug
    Authored by: robg on Jan 25, '05 09:36:03PM

It's not for albums created in iPhoto5 -- only iPhoto4-created albums have this problem. I've edited the hint to further clarify this...

-rob.