Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9
Authored by: geek-e on Jan 22, '05 12:24:14AM
There is a way to disable journaling from terminal or single user modeif it can boot that far. Booting the machine into single user mode mount the drive with the given command of:
/sbin/mount -uw /
Then use 'df' to see what /dev the drive in question is. If its the boot drive it will be the device who's name is /. If it an external disk of some sort the name will start /Volumes/. For this example we'll say its /dev/disk0s3 Then to disable journaling type:
diskutil disableJournal /dev/disk0s3
To enable it again type:
diskutil enableJournal /dev/disk0s3
Again, this depends on how far the drive can boot in single user mode and if the drive can be mounted as an external.

Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9
Authored by: thedano on Jan 23, '05 07:00:01PM

I'd like to thank anyone for a very timely posting, as last night my iBook decided that it was time to corrupt the journal files.

It's nice when a piece of engineering works smoothly, but a real bear when that OS9 booting machine, external hard drive and restore disks are all over three hundred miles away...

Has anyone figured out how to delete the .journ* files from single user mode? DiskWarrior has quit with an error about not being able to deal with the journaling files. fsck has decided to forsake me with I/O timeouts. Mounting the disk gets me a little further, but root# rm .jour* tells me "Operation not permitted" and disabling the journal with diskutil returns something about "Carbon Lazy Values"

A little help over here?

Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9
Authored by: LC on Jan 25, '05 02:03:40PM

I've been through that before (carbon lazy values ...) and what I understood is that some kernel extensions hadn't yet been loaded, or else some needed frameworks weren't yet available to the running system (sorry, I don't fully understand the system). Once I made the system execute more of /etc/rc, then everything worked under single-user mode. I think I copied the rc script to a temp file and sourced it from the single-user shell ... not positive but I think I omitted the SystemStarter command at the end; Larry.

Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9
Authored by: aardvarko on Jan 26, '05 01:54:54AM

man chflags

uch and/or uunlnk are probably set

Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9
Authored by: theilgaard on Jan 24, '05 04:30:10AM

diskutil does not work in single user mode, unless you start up other system services, as described in another hint on this site, i believe.

In this specific case the above command will not work for solving the journal problem, as the diskutil command will use the journal to update the directory information on the drive, and since the journal is bad, the command will fail.

Disable HFS+ journaling from within Mac OS 9
Authored by: thedano on Jan 24, '05 01:17:02PM

I made the attempt to use the iBook in Firewire target disk mode on a G4 running 9.2. The firewire icon on the iBook would freeze after about ten seconds, the host G4 would never see it, and would stop responding to mouse clicks about the same time the firewire logo stopped.

Ahhh, those restore disks are sooo far away from me.