Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'View PDF files in Safari with Reader 7' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: lebowski on Jan 20, '05 11:08:40AM

Well i haven't tried this yet but judging from the screenshot the Schubert plugin is much nicer still. I'll still with that for the time being at least.

---
------------------

You can't fight in here, this is a War Room!!

Authored by: lebowski on Jan 20, '05 11:09:58AM

*stick with that

---
------------------

You can't fight in here, this is a War Room!!

Authored by: robg on Jan 20, '05 11:15:12AM
As much as I like the Schubert plug-in, it's missing a few nice features that Adobe's offers. The page browser is quite useful, but even more important, Adobe's plug-in handles things that Schubert won't. As an example, try the 1040 tax form.

In Schubert, you see the form with a bunch of ???? in the fields. With Adobe's plug-in, you can enter data into those fields, and save the filled-in form locally, all from your browser.

-rob.

Authored by: tonyinsf on Jan 20, '05 12:14:14PM

Please state the version of the Schubert plug-in you are using, otherwise you do a disservice to everyone here.

I am using 2.0.1 and it has no problem with the 1040 form.

Also, I believe it has as many, if not more features as the Adobe plug-in.

---
eating meat is the signature of apathy

Authored by: robg on Jan 20, '05 02:14:24PM
See my other reply below; Schubert does not support PDF forms. You can fill data in, but you can't save the form with the filled-in data.

-rob.

Authored by: prodok on Jan 21, '05 05:23:35PM

Actually, that's what you can not do with Reader (or Reader powering the browser plug-in) either, UNLESS the form has the so-called Extended Rights (which would have been applied by the creator of the form, using the Adobe Reader Extensions Server (or whatever that thingie's name du jour is...).

The 1040 tax form for 2004 does bear those extended rights, that's why you can save it with the filled in data, using Reader.

Authored by: robg on Jan 22, '05 05:10:18PM

Right, that's what I was referring to -- the extended rights forms, not the simple ones. Sorry for any confusion.

-rob.

Authored by: maddys_daddy on Jan 20, '05 01:18:44PM
rob, I just downloaded the most recent version of the Schuberth plugin, and it seems to have fixed (well, sort of) the issues that you're concerned with. While you can't have a page view in the sidebar, you can view a collapsible tree view of the TOC (if one exists for the file). This for me, more often than not, is much more convenient than page view. See this pdf document to see the TOC (if you have a recent version of the Schuberth plugin). Also, forms are fixed. I had no problem filling out the 1040. The only caveat is that using the "Save" or "Save as..." option won't save the filled in form data (which stinks). However, selecting Print>Save as pdf... will save a pdf with the form data filled in. The only drawback to this is that there is a header (extraneous pdf meta-data??) that appears above the 1040 page 1. Haven't tried it with any other PDF forms yet. The biggest reason I'm sticking with the Schuberth plugin is that I use Firefox pretty much exclusively, and, as far as I know, the Adobe plugin won't work in firefox.

Authored by: whoadoggy on Jan 20, '05 11:41:35AM

I couldn't find a quick and easy way to open the file in the Reader or Preview from the plugin. The browser and the plugin took up so much of the window that you couldn't see much of the document of interest. Schubert is much nicer with a button to open in preview.

Also beware Reader automatically disables shubert upon installation.

Authored by: robg on Jan 20, '05 12:01:32PM
Wow, tough crowd today :).

I just measured, and the Adobe PDF viewer actually takes one more vertical pixel than does the Schubert viewer. Yes, the toolbar itself is notably taller (there's a button to hide it at the bottom of the screen). But Schubert leaves more empty space before it gets to the top of the PDF -- so the actual content of the PDF starts one pixel lower with Adobe than it does with Schubert.

I took full screenshots using both plug-ins, and I can see just as much of the PDF in both programs -- OK, one less pixel width's row in Adobe, but that's it...

Both are very handy to have; both have strengths and weaknesses. But Adobe is the first plug-in to handle forms and provide a page viewer, which are the two reasons it will be my primary Safari PDF browser. In the other browsers, of course, I'll continue to use Schubert.

-rob.

Authored by: mjones1040 on Jan 20, '05 02:12:51PM

The toolbar at the top (which is ugly) can be toggled on and off with the icon on the lower left. Nice!

Authored by: KingDoom on Jan 20, '05 01:45:52PM

I agree with Rob that Adobe 7 is a nicer, more capable PDF reader for Safari than Schubert.

As noted earlier, however, Schubert no longer opens in other browsers--Preview wants to open them. I haven't figured out how to get Schubert to now open in Camino.

Authored by: magir on Jan 20, '05 03:48:38PM

type "about:plugins" as a URL and hit return. You'll probably see nothing (because the Camino-guys still haven't implemented that) but sometimes this triggers the activation of the plugin and it may work again. If not I guess the Adobe-Plugin is superseeding the "Schubert"-Plugin, in this case it might help to move the Adobe-Plugin somewhere else, where only Safari can find it (no idea if there is a place - probably somewhere within the safari package).

Authored by: windrag on Jan 20, '05 04:29:07PM
The Adobe plugin gives me the following error mesage:
Safari can't open the page "http://anygiven site.com/anygivenpdf.pdf". The error was: "Cannot load plug-in" (WebKitErrorDomain:203) Please choose Report Bug to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.
Despite this warning, the pdf seems to load fine. Anyone else notice this?

---
Ryk A. Groetchen
700MHz iBook 16 VRAM G3
640MB RAM
OS X 10.3.6

Authored by: cisko on Jan 21, '05 11:27:15PM

I'm experiencing the same problem. I put a post on the Adobe Reader Forum outlining the behavior but have not received any hints as to the cause:

I noticed that Swift in this thread also appears to have this same problem.

Authored by: meldavid on Mar 19, '05 01:31:03AM

I got the same error message as well. I disabled it by using a different PDF plug-in and turning off Adobe's PDF plug-in.

To turn off the Adobe PDF Internet plug-in for Safari, just launch Adobe Reader 7, go to its Preferences, click on the Internet tab, and un-tick the box that says, "Display PDF in Browser using".

Then download this plug-in (free for personal use) and follow its installation directions.

Hope that helps!

Authored by: KingDoom on Jan 20, '05 08:58:33PM

Thanks for the tip. I didn't try it b/c Schubert started working in Camino again, without me doing anything. There is quite a bit of discussion about this at the Camino forums. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=188140

Nobody else has this strange behavior?
Authored by: Swift on Jan 20, '05 11:23:39PM

In Safari, immediately after installing Adobe Reader 7, I just happened to click on a pdf, and was amazed to see the Adobe plugin pop up. But since the beginning, it's been strange: very, very fast, faster than Schubert, but a dialog pops up first, saying "Can't open <address.pdf>, and then, it opens it -- but half the dialog is living behind it. I have to click on the half-hidden dialog and then press return to get rid of it. With Firefox, the pdf is downloaded, and then up pops the full Acrobat 7.0 app with the said doc. This is also very fast, frankly, and on my G5, the Reader seems at least as fast as Preview. I'm still exploring the little hidden feature. Frankly? I think Adobe got scared by Preview, and they knew what a clunker they had in 6.0.

---