Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'TextWrangler: A full-featured (and now free) text editor' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
TextWrangler: A full-featured (and now free) text editor
Authored by: lassowitz on Jan 19, '05 11:04:56AM

I would recommend Smultron ("http://smultron.sourceforge.net/"). It has all the same selling points as TextWrangler, but has the added "feature" of being an open-source development.

Our office switched to it exclusively after both BBEdit Lite and SubEthaEdit became commercial products. Check it out...

TextWrangler: A full-featured (and now free) text editor
Authored by: KingDoom on Jan 19, '05 02:13:51PM

Yes, I second Smultron. It's perfect for my light-to-moderate text editing needs. It's Cocoa and it's free.

TextWrangler: A full-featured (and now free) text editor
Authored by: webbix on Jan 19, '05 07:12:27PM

I know nothing of Smultron and it is likely a good option. I would only point out the TextWrangler is basically what BBedit Lite was. It is Free.

TextWrangler: A full-featured (and now free) text editor
Authored by: KingDoom on Jan 20, '05 02:31:28PM

Yes, TextWrangler is free, but it does not feel like an OS X app, it feels rather clunky. Because Smultron is done in Cocoa, it feels more consistent with most of my other apps (e.g., iTunes, Safari, etc.).

Read this. http://smultron.sourceforge.net/faq.html

TextWrangler: A full-featured (and now free) text editor
Authored by: vanthal on Jan 20, '05 04:53:44AM

Yeah, Smultron is my choice now. SubEthaEdit is very nice, but I end up with too many windows to manage. Smultron and TextWrangler both solve this with their MDI approach. I had a bad start with TextWrangler after it opened a few PHP files and destroyed the formatting around comments - lines which were fine in my other editors ran together in TextWrangler, usually when single-line comments were used. One thing I miss in Smultron is a list of functions in the open document, which SubEthaEdit and TextWrangler both have. Hopefully Smultron will gain this feature in time.

I vote for Smultron as well.
Authored by: Viridian on Jan 20, '05 11:26:52AM

I used SubEthaEdit as well, which is free for non-commercial use, but I really had no need for the Rendezvous file-sharing feature, as nice as it is.
Smultron is more than enough for my modest needs, and I particularly like the fact that I can open a folder and all the files will appear in the same window, instead of multiple windows like SubEthaEdit, which makes life much easier. It also supports syntax-coloring, auto-indent, etc. You can even turn off the brushed metal appearance (the default) with a checkbox in preferences. Smultron is a very elegant and well thought-out application. Kudos to the author.