Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'WeatherPop - A menubar weather monitor' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
WeatherPop - A menubar weather monitor
Authored by: mjalbers on Jan 10, '05 09:20:38AM
While WeatherPop is definitely a worthwhile program, I'd also direct people to check out Meteorologist, an opensource program that is feature-for-feature almost identicle to WeatherPop, and free to boot.

WeatherPop - A menubar weather monitor
Authored by: restiffbard on Jan 10, '05 09:44:34AM

Mjalbers, thanks for the tip on meteo. Very nice. Quick setup.

WeatherPop or Meteorologist
Authored by: JFutral on Jan 10, '05 11:12:00AM

I use both-- Meteorologist on a G4 Powerbook and WeatherPop on a Dual 1GHz MDD machine. They _both_ have very annoying quirks so be prepared.

Meteo has a bad habit of disappearing from the menu bar. It seems to occur primarily when a specified primary city's data is somehow corrupted or something, I'm not sure. And once it disappears it is almost impossible to get back until things work themselves out again. Also there seems to be some sort of HTML (or whatever code it uses) problems and the menu portion gets real wanky and you see a ton of source code, but no info. Some cities seem to never have a problem. Maybe one will be yours! :-)

WeatherPop has a nasty habit of quiting and leaving no trail as to why. I find I have to relaunch WeatherPop typically 2-3 times a day. Other times it goes for days just fine. But I have never had it last a week without needed to be relaunched.

I have yet to figure out any kind of pattern for either program in hopes of finding solutions. If anyone else knows the issues i would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Joe Futral

WeatherPop or Meteorologist
Authored by: dslipp on Jan 10, '05 11:30:00AM

Hi;

I'm one of the developers on the Meteorologist project, and we're working on that disappearing issue. One trick that has worked for a lot of users is to make sure you've deleted the old preferences before you run the newest version. That usually makes it much more stable and reliable.

If you're encountering that problem (or any others) quit Meteorologist, delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.heat.meteo.plist and start Meteorologist again. You'll have to reset your preferences and city list, but it should be much more stable afterwards.

For what it's worth, I've got over thirty cities in my list and Meteo has been running uninterrupted for over six months (minus the restarts to update the system.)

---
Dave

WeatherPop or Meteorologist
Authored by: JFutral on Jan 10, '05 01:58:58PM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Joe Futral

WeatherPop or Meteorologist
Authored by: DavidRavenMoon on Jan 10, '05 04:36:28PM

I've been using WeatherPop for a while now, on two different Macs, and I've never had it quit. The worst problem I have with it is sometimes the icon shows the wrong time of day... but updating it fixes that.

I wonder why it's quitting on you?

---
G4/466, 1 GB, Mac OS X 10.3.7

WeatherPop or Meteorologist
Authored by: Vanish on Jan 19, '05 12:15:24AM

I purchased WeatherPop dvance when it was first released. The dissappearing bug is precisely why I converted to meteorologist several months ago and haven't looked back. Meteorologist works perfectly fie for me. There was recently a problem when Weather.com updated their pages, but the newly released Meteo 1.4.1 corrected the problem.

I highly recommend it.

WeatherPop - A menubar weather monitor
Authored by: aptenergy on Jan 10, '05 11:24:10AM

For those of you who have had problems using Meteo, you should know that a 2.0 version is actively being worked on, with reworked preferences and a much better parsing system. If you would like to help, visit the SourceForge forums for the Meteorologist project.