Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Large FAT32 partitions' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Large FAT32 partitions
Authored by: shacker on Jan 29, '02 02:44:31AM

Why couldn't you create a single FAT32 partition? What partitioning software were you using?

Large FAT32 partitions
Authored by: davetron5000 on Jan 29, '02 02:56:23AM

I used the Disk admin tool from win2k. It let me make a 60gig partition, but it wouldn't format it. Got partway through and failed. Sam thing with 40gig.

Large FAT32 partitions
Authored by: shacker on Jan 29, '02 08:28:31PM

Odd. There are plenty of Windows users using larger than 40GB partitions made with Win2K's diskadmin util. It's possible that a BIOS update for that machine would help. Also, it would be worth trying 3rd party utilities like PowerQuest's PartitionMagic.

Large FAT32 partitions
Authored by: aamartin on Apr 04, '03 01:03:28PM

No, there is a hard limit of 32GB for FAT32. (Look it up in the MS knowledge base.) You can create a partition bigger than that, but you can't format it, and even if you could, I don't think most flavors of Windows would recognize it.

If you want a bigger partition, you have to go NTFS. Of course, OSX doesn't recognize this, and even Win9x won't either.

(I have a 100GB disk in a firewire/usb2.0 enclosure, and I had to break it into 4 partitions because of this. What I really want to do is make some of the partitions FAT32 and some HFS+, but I haven't figured out how to do that, because neither the Win2k disk partition tool nor Mac's Disk Utility will let me do it. The best way to say it is that OSX "tolerates" Windows disks-- you can read and write them, but you can't really do any maintenance.

Large FAT32 partitions
Authored by: stupidnamehere on Apr 06, '03 04:42:24PM

it is possible, I have a maxtor 120 gig drive with ntfs and hfs+.

Basically use disk utility in osx to format the drive with a hfs+ partition at the end of the disk with the rest of the disk as 'free space'.
Then you will have ha disk with hfs+ and blank space. Now just connect the disk to windows and format the free space as whatever u want. I used win xp pro's disk managment to format the unused space as ntfs. it's been working for me for a while now no problems :D

But surly sme one out there has created a way for osx to read ntfs???

Large FAT32 partitions
Authored by: prowler on Apr 06, '03 07:24:22AM

The limit for FAT32 is 32Gb. I recently bought a Lacie 120Gb FireWire drive (really cool stuff) which I want to use on both my powerbook and my windows server. Like most of you I don't like to have 4 partitions on one drive.
I use the whole disk as HFS+ (just one partitition) which works great for the mac (off course) but also on my Win2k server. The trick is installing Macdrive.

Now your windows machine recognizes the drive instantly (also giving it a drive icon with a nice little red apple). reading / writing ... works like a charm.