Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'SAMBA can be nasty... beware' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
SAMBA can be nasty... beware
Authored by: tapella on Mar 28, '01 11:35:09AM

SAMBA is a bit dangerous to install if you aren't familiar with it... not to your own computer, but to the Windows network. I'm not sure if all the bugs have been fixed or not, but it's really easy for a Unix machine running SAMBA to become a local controller computer and "take over" the Windows network. This tends to lead to mass chaos for IT departments who are wondering what's going on with their network. At my company the IT guys freak out when someone installs SAMBA because they've experienced first-hand the damage it can cause (it took a long time to fix the Windows network...).

Anyway, just a warning to be careful!

SAMBA can be nasty... beware
Authored by: khaled on Apr 20, '01 10:26:26AM

Hi,

I really like your tuotrial and I wanted to try iy, but I can't get the Samba distribution from the link you provided. Would you be kind enough to correct the link ? please...

Thanks.

SAMBA can be nasty... beware
Authored by: dcochran on Feb 05, '02 05:14:53PM

Is there a way to guard against the nastiness?? I don't want to create trouble for my IT gang, but I do need to share files between my ibook and my pc. And because our network is novell netware without Apple support . . . I believe this is my only (free) option.

File sharing without installing SAMBA
Authored by: wankomatic2000 on Feb 26, '02 11:03:57PM

If you just want to get files off your iBook and onto your PC you don't need to install SAMBA.

SAMBA will allow you to pull files from your iBook while sitting at your PC. You can achieve the same result by sharing a folder on your PC (assuming that File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is installed).

1. Share a folder on your PC. Make sure the permissions will allow you to write to it from another computer on the network.

2. Open the Finder on your Mac.

3. Hit Command-K. A "Connect to Server" dialog will appear.

4. In the "Address:" text box, type in the Windows Networking name of your PC and the folder that you've shared; it should look something like this when you're finished:

smb://myPeeCeeName/MySharedFolder

5. Type in your Workgroup or domain name, your user name and password.

That's it.

If everything went right, you'll have a new drive at the top level of your Finder window. From your Finder, you can drag and drop files to copy them onto your PC.

File sharing without installing SAMBA
Authored by: pfurbacher on Jun 03, '02 07:41:52PM
This standard set of instructions has never worked for me.
Nothing I do allows me to see shared drives or folders
on my Win 2K box from this Powerbook which is running
Samba. I can see all my OS X shares from the Win 2K box,
but smb://PeeCeeName[or IP address]/SharedFolderOrDiskName
emphatically does not work.

I always get a "server returned error 1" message.

Do these instructions assume that the Windows box is
running Windows Server? Any other assumptions
besides having "File Sharing for Microsoft Network"
on?

Thanks.

File sharing without installing SAMBA
Authored by: pfurbacher on Jun 12, '02 03:30:29PM

Well, to answer my own post, it appears that there are
two things one should avoid in order to get the Command-K
"Connect to server..." to work:

1. Avoid characters such as hyphens in the Windows computer's name.
(Silly me.)

2. IP addresses, as in "smb://172.16.1.1/<share_name>"
simply do not seem to work. (Someone else has pointed
this out in another OS X Hints thread.)

Can't wait for Jaguar's "Rendevous" (ZeroConf), though.

Windows Networking is not easy...beware
Authored by: wankomatic2000 on Feb 26, '02 10:42:38PM

SAMBA is not nasty. People who don't know how to install SAMBA and then blame SAMBA are nasty. ;)

Saying that SAMBA causes damage is misleading. SAMBA will not damage Windows networks, but it can confuse other clients and servers on the network.

Let me say this again, because it's really important: SAMBA will not cause damage to your Windows computers. Unless you've got a Primary domain controller sitting at home, and other machines relying on it for log-on services, SAMBA (even if it is misconfigured) will not cause your PC's to quit communicating, and in no case will it ever cause damage to your other computers.

Home users don't have anything to worry about. Even if SAMBA is configured to be the primary domain controller of MYWINDOWSDOMAIN, your Windows PeeCees are in Workgroup mode, which means they're not looking for a domain controller anyway.
If you're going to be bringing your Mac to work and plug in to the Windows domain, make sure that you don't set it up to be the domain controller. If you're plugging into the network at work, you should probably take more time to understand Windows Networking anyway, and make sure your network admin knows that you're plugging your own machine in anyway.

If you need to install SAMBA, understand how Windows Networking works.

SAMBA is an excellent resource that can make life a lot easier, but just like any powerful tool, if used the wrong way, it can cause some headaches.