Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like
Authored by: CBStephenson on Nov 16, '04 08:48:17PM

[Flames of indignation omitted but understood.]

Go to Firefox -> Preferences -> Advanced pane

Click the wedge to open the Tabbed Browsing preferences, and choose your poison.

How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like
Authored by: designr on Nov 17, '04 01:22:20PM

Thanks, but I tried that. Lots of settings but there is no way to disable tabbed browsing entirely. I prefer to "command"-click a link and have a new window pop up. (On a page with hundreds of links I can quickly pop up a new window and as quickly close it with "command"-W if it isn't what I'm looking for. Then there's no refresh time to "command"-click on the next link.)

Also, anybody figured out how to import bookmarks yet? When I select File > Import... all I get is a dialog with no options.

Thanks.

How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like
Authored by: phil4u2 on Nov 17, '04 01:57:15PM

If you want to import your bookmarks from Safari, just use the debug menu in Safari, and export bookmarks. It will create a .html file with all your bookmarks. I think that IE's bookmarks are already in .html format.

In FireFox, go to the 'customize bookmarks' (or similar, sorry, I have the Swedish version... 'ordna bokmärken') and use 'file', 'import...'

that's it!

How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like
Authored by: designr on Nov 17, '04 11:59:29PM

Thanks, I was using Import... from the File menu in a browser window. That doesn't do anything at all yet. In the bookmarks manager it does work.

How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like
Authored by: baba on Nov 17, '04 01:27:06PM

No, this doesn't work. Not in Firefox 1.0 anyway. On opening links with cmd-click, it keeps defaulting to tabs rather than new windows regardless of preference settings. This seems to be a design flaw.

How to make Firefox look a bit more Mac-like
Authored by: designr on Nov 18, '04 12:07:47AM

Thanks for the confirmation. A Linux geek I know was trying to convince me I was insane when I told him tabbed browsing couldn't be disabled in the current Firefox... Then again, he thinks we should all go back to the days before GUIs were invented.