Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Import Address Book records into to Thunderbird' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Import Address Book records into to Thunderbird
Authored by: mikebremford on Nov 02, '04 11:21:10AM

I've written a little Java app which converts a group VCF as exported by OSX AddressBook to an LDIF file as imported by Thunderbird. It handles multiline addresses, Unicode and so on, and you can run it from the command line or double click on the JAR to run as a GUI.

It's pretty simple but should work for most cases, and if not source is included in the JAR. It's at http://big.faceless.org/misc/vcf2ldif.jar.

vcf2ldif.jar
Authored by: Jez_gee on Nov 26, '04 04:50:10PM

Having spent hours trying to find a way to copy these addresses from mail to thunderbird i stumbled across this page, some useful hints which i tried to use. However, I couldn't get any of them to work correctly, all got to a stage with the information across, but without the necessary formatting. The vcf2ldif.jar program looked promising, however when run, i received nullpointer and arrayindexoutofbounds exceptions. Has anyone got any other clever tricks or a errorless version of the Jar file. Please help, spent far to long trying to get this to work!

vcf2ldif.jar
Authored by: emrecio on Mar 15, '05 01:24:38AM

I get the same error... how do I make this jar file work?

vcf2ldif.jar
Authored by: oniseijin on Apr 18, '05 01:11:16AM

A little late, but I have created a patched version of this jar.

The problem was that it was assuming the encoding was UTF-16, and then there was a minor problem with how the F tag was "N" tag was handled.

For the GUI you select the encoding from a list, defaults to the default for your system, and the command line accepts the encoding as the second argument.

I have not put the code up anywhere, so contact me for it.

Ryan

vcf2ldif.jar
Authored by: oniseijin on Apr 18, '05 01:47:51AM

Update, I have put this code up....

Import Address Book records into to Thunderbird
Authored by: purplepain on Feb 02, '05 07:52:29AM

That was fantastic, nothing else worked but that for me - thanku