Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Presentation is everything' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Presentation is everything
Authored by: Fanglord on Oct 27, '04 12:19:42PM

I think a better representation of the data would be to rank them by number of items (low to high), rather than by number of responses in each category. The graph as it stands requires me to keep looking at the column headings to see which one it is. If they were ranked in order, new and interesting patterns could be seen (are there "islands of interest" in the data?, etc).

Unfortunately, not possible
Authored by: Bookman on Oct 27, '04 01:39:08PM

I agree that the results would be more relevant presented as you suggest, but as Rob will tell you, the software he uses to generate the polls only outputs results in order from most to fewest responses. He will frequently do an Excel graph at the conclusion of the poll that shows the responses ranked in the order in which they were presented in the poll.

--Books

Unfortunately, not possible
Authored by: readparse on Oct 28, '04 05:57:57PM

"Not possible," he says. Bah! I was going to say that certainly anything is possible -- even if you use code that somebody else wrote. It's PHP, so just go in and make the changes you want to make. "Not likely," would be more valid, since I can understand why you wouldn't want to go tweaking somebody else's code that you might want to upgrade one day.

But then I took it a step further and downloaded the GeekLog code to take a gander. Not only would the change be trivial, but the sort order of poll results is actually a configurable option -- ah-ha!

I don't know where, because I don't use GeekLog, but I know there's a configuration key called "answerorder" and if your choice is "voteorder" is orders the way we see it today on this site. Otherwise, it orders is by "aid", obviously the primary key of the choices, which will generally be the order in which the choices were entered, and one would assume that's the same order in which they are displayed in the voting interface.

"Not possible" -- bah!

RP

Unfortunately, not possible
Authored by: robg on Oct 29, '04 12:07:19AM

Wellllll ... it never *used to be* an option! :). Seriously, not sure when they added that in, but thanks for pointing it out. I just flipped the switch, so it should now be in the easier to read format...

-rob.

Unfortunately, not possible
Authored by: koelling on Oct 30, '04 12:54:42AM

I was about to say! I thought you were all on crack because what I saw was a nice Gaussian curve. I'm glad you found that switch, it's hard to imagine how difficult this data would be to read if it were sorted.

Unfortunately, not possible
Authored by: Bookman on Nov 02, '04 02:34:10AM

See, my plan worked. By goading the ever-knowledgeable MOSXH readers with my "not possible" comment, I have stimulated their collective curiousity and spawned a solution. TA DA!

--Books ;-)

Unfortunately, yes possible (:))
Authored by: gourls on Nov 07, '04 11:12:24PM
hee hee, I like that. :) SMILEYS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---