Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: m5comp on Oct 04, '04 01:36:01PM

Some mouse drivers (Microsoft) allow you to disable their special features in certain applications; I have mine set to be disabled in X11.app, and middle-clicking works fine there (I do wish I could program button 4 or 5 to be the middle-click button instead--sometimes it's not easy to push down on a scroll wheel without it turning.)

xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: kps on Oct 04, '04 02:33:39PM
xmodmap(1) is your friend: for instance,
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 4 3 2 5"
will interchange the functions of the second and fourth buttons.

xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: m5comp on Oct 05, '04 01:26:37PM
The
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 4 3 2 5"
command didn't work; after I executed that command in xterm, no button produced a middle-click. :-(

xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: m5comp on Oct 05, '04 01:39:05PM

After I restarted X11 and began playing around with the mouse buttons, I discovered that button 4 and button 5 send a middle-click by default, without using xmodmap. I wish I'd known that sooner. :-\

xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: kps on Oct 05, '04 10:27:06PM

Strange. I've just tried it again with a Microsoft mouse and it did work as I said; however, I have never installed any third-party mouse software, MS or otherwise. BTW, although I would still prefer a proper middle button, I've found that some mice I've tried (Logitech and Belkin, specifically) have wheels that are stiffer and less prone to unintentional rotation than the MS mice.

xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: gdelfino on Oct 04, '04 04:59:40PM
The Kensington MouseWorks software lets you set any of your mouse buttons to "left-click", "right-click", "middle-click", "button4-click" or "button5-click". So it works great with X11!

On the other hand, if you buy a Logitech mouse, don't install the software as it is very limited.

xclipboard resolves Aqua-X11 copy/paste barrier
Authored by: n8gray on Oct 05, '04 02:35:24AM

Thanks for this tip! I have an MS mouse but I uninstalled the software when I found out I couldn't assign the middle-click button to, *gasp*, middle-click. I'm a heavy X11 user and I thought this was the kiss of death, but now I'll take another look.