Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Another iTunes local subnet sharing workaround' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Another iTunes local subnet sharing workaround
Authored by: atverd on Sep 21, '04 12:21:02PM

This will work only when both your subnets physically sitting on the same network segment (sharing same wires). Otherwise this will not work.

Configuring Parallel Subnets... HELP!
Authored by: Echidna on Sep 21, '04 03:07:44PM
So, to clarify, if I have one subnet nested inside another subnet it won't work? That is to say, I have one router creating one subnet, and then inside that subnet, I have connected another router creating another subnet. That would explain why I can't get this hint to work for me. The network looks like this:
internet -> router -> computers on subnet 1
                    \
                     router -> computers on subnet 2
Then, if I'm understanding this correctly, it's a serial vs. parallel type of setup, right? That's what you mean by "on the same wires", right? How would I set it up so that the two routers are parallel to each other? I would have to split the connection to the two routers with a hub, and then join the networks back together with another hub, right? And then the computers would have the choice as to which networks they would want to be on, right? How would DHCP work, then? Only one router could have DHCP turned on, right? The network would look like this:
internet -> hub -> router -> hub -> computers
                  \       /
                   router
And then, and only then, could I have my computer connected to both subnets, right? I'm kinda new to working this in-depth with networks... anyone care to answer my guesses?

Configuring Parallel Subnets... HELP!
Authored by: Echidna on Sep 21, '04 03:45:56PM
Upon further consideration, I suppose both routers in my second diagram would need their own IP address. So, it would really take three routers to get the job done as I have drawn it. More practically, could I do something a little less intuitive - have the internet go from the first router into a hub, and then the second router comes out of that hub, and then plugs directly back in. It would make a loop in the network, and look something like this:

router ->   hub  -> computers
       /          \
      |            |
       \          /
        <-router<-
So, I could essentially keep everything setup in the way I drew my first diagram, only I would throw a cable looping back from out of one of the LAN ports of the second router back into the subnet of the first router. Would this work?

Configuring Parallel Subnets... Got it!
Authored by: Echidna on Sep 21, '04 06:16:53PM

OK, sorry for all the replies. I did get it working then, simply by crossing the two networks with a cable. Thanks! Great hint!

Configuring Parallel Subnets... Got it!
Authored by: argh128 on Sep 21, '04 06:46:39PM

Note:

In general bridging separate networks like this is a BAD idea. Their area usually reasons for networks to be separate. For example: restricting access to data. Keeping one network separate from the WWW.. etc

In fact, some companies can get really pissed when you do something like this... my University will cut your connection if you bridge a network like this.

---

A completely SANE Canadian.

Open Stream
Authored by: gourls on Sep 21, '04 06:59:21PM
This is kind of a weird way to ask, but does anybody know how to do the iTunes open stream thing? When I type in a URL and hit OK, the name of the URL I typed in comes up, but I hear nothing. Yes, I have the volume up. I just don't get how it works.

---
School is a hard life.........you had better believe it.