Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: kcrowderus on Sep 07, '04 12:14:07PM

I haven't tried the 1012 in Classic, but had zero trouble in OSX. It was spitting out prints in seconds. Man, that thing is fast. I'm running 10.3.5.

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: gourls on Sep 07, '04 09:19:34PM

I noticed one comment that said the 1012 worked really well in OS X. That's weird how it didn't work in yours. Could it possibly be the type of computer you have-iMac, eMac, PowerMac, iBook (those things rock), or PowerBook? All those things can run Classic and OS X. What kind of computer do you all have?

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: Wayne_S on Sep 09, '04 05:35:29AM
Sorry for any confusion. I didn't mean to imply that I had problems under OS X alone. That was easy. The problems were printing from OS X and also being able to print from Classic.

I had this problem with 2 machines:

1. Titanium PowerBook (800 MHz, 512 Mb RAM, 30 Gb Hard drive, OS 10.3; and
  2. Single processor G5, 1.6 GHz processor, 768 Mb RAM, 80 Gb hard drive, OS 10.3.
I believe at the time I first got the printer both machines were running 10.3.2. I even tried booting the PB to OS 9 to install the drivers for Classic there. Both have been updated to 10.3.5.

---
Every rule has an exception. Especially this one.

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: phredd on Sep 07, '04 09:33:29PM

Ok...maybe Im a moron, but I installed the drivers from this story...when I go to select the proper driver I cant find ANY named "*1012*" in the list of HP drivers...which one am I supposed to pick?

---
Thx,
Phredd

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: Wayne_S on Sep 09, '04 05:45:54AM
Make sure the printer is connected via an available (and known working) USB port.

OS X : In the Print and Fax preference pane, Click on the "Set Up Printers" button to get to the printer list. There, select "Add." In the dialog box that appears, select "USB" from the drop-down menu. A listing for the LaserJet 1012 should be there.

Classic/OS 9: Go to the Chooser (Apple Menu Item). Select from the left-hand pane ""hp laserjet v1.1.3." In the right hand pane, select the 1012 - it should have a USB icon symbol at the left of its name. I have AppleTalk off, but I have not checked to see if it makes a difference.

---
Every rule has an exception. Especially this one.

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: brettson on Dec 23, '04 02:55:51AM

I've tried a lot of these hints here but so far I haven't even gotten it to show up the Printer Setup Utility. Any ideas?

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: georgex5 on Feb 20, '05 05:12:26PM

Hello--

I learned from this site that I might solve my hp 930c printer problem by downloading a new driver. I downloaded the driver but the instructions say I should delete the existing printer (print queue) from the Printer Center before installing this driver.

The closest thing to a Print Center that I found was com.apple.print.PrintCenter.plist
which is actually an html page.

Can anybody clear this up? I'm still pretty new to OS 10.3.7 and am not sure what to do. Thanks for comments.

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: DavidRavenMoon on Feb 21, '05 07:08:17PM

In Panther it's called the Printer Setup Utility, which is in your Utilities folder. In Jaguar and before it was the Print Center.

You would launch that, and delete the printer if it's there, and re-add it to the list.

If you printer isn't there, then this is the place to add your printer!

---
G4/466, 1 GB, Mac OS X 10.3.8

Print from Classic and OS X with an HP Laserjet 1012
Authored by: emendelson on Feb 21, '05 10:22:21PM

If you still can't print directly to the LaserJet from Classic, you don't need to print to PS and open the files in Preview. Use Applescripts to do it for you. The technique is here:

Go down to the section called "Print from Classic to OS X printers." The page includes Applescripts for automatically printing from Classic apps to OS X printers, and for creating PDF files automatically from Classic.