Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use the Airport Express as a local time server' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use the Airport Express as a local time server
Authored by: shub on Aug 11, '04 06:47:18PM
You really need to define at least four or five upstream time servers, at a bare minimum. This subject is complex, but please see the discussion at http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers.

Use the Airport Express as a local time server
Authored by: applemaster on Aug 11, '04 11:00:31PM

I'm not trying to land a man on the moon, I just want my computer to be able to tell time. If it's off by a few seconds, or even a minute or two, I'm not going to jump off any buildings.

And if the ntp server is completely down, I'll just look at my watch, thank you very much.

---

Huh?
Authored by: NeutronMonk on Aug 12, '04 06:34:53AM

On my mac, I have the option under the Date and Time preference panel to have the time automatically set via time.apple.com. No Airport required. No firewall configuring required. Really, really simple.

Huh?
Authored by: shub on Aug 12, '04 06:51:27AM

The original hint was to use your base station to sync to upstream time servers, and then sync local machines to your base station. This is recommended practice, as it puts lower load on the upstream time servers.

If you define sufficient multiple upstream servers (as I recommended), you can protect yourself against one or more of them going down (the software will automatically find and sync to the best one), and you will also protect yourself against upstream servers that may have bad clocks (again, the software will automatically detect and avoid them).

Huh?
Authored by: Alrescha on Aug 12, '04 04:55:54PM

You are technically correct - best practices would suggest multiple timeservers, but you are ignoring the fact that this community doesn't have those requirements.

My casual observations lead me to believe that the Airport gets it's time via ntpdate or the equivalent every few hours or so rather than using full ntp, so it's not industrial strength anyway - but more than enough for casual folks who like having a clock with the right hours and minutes on it.

A.

Use the Airport Express as a local time server
Authored by: shub on Aug 12, '04 06:43:36AM

If you want to use your base station as an NTP server, there's a good chance that it won't be able to get good time sync if you don't follow the recommendations, and if it can't get time sync then it can't provide time sync to any of your internal clients.

If you're going to do this, you might as well make an attempt to do it reasonably well. Otherwise, you cause more problems than you solve.