Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Print from Windows XP to a shared Mac printer' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
10.3: Print from Windows XP to a shared Mac printer
Authored by: barefeet11 on Jul 07, '04 06:17:37AM
No more razzle-dazzle. Use RENDEZVOUS on your WinXP-Box (or W2000) and your done!
Download the Rendezvous for Windows technical preview. It works much better then looking up for ports and IPs and Printer-Names ... Salute to apple. This is an excellent tool in a mixed environment! (As Redezvous is an excellent concept ...)

---
ernst

rendezvous printer sharing
Authored by: sjk on Jul 10, '04 02:02:44AM

Can a USB printer directly attached to a Mac to be shared with Rendezvous? I have Printer Sharing enabled but not Windows Sharing. The Rendezvous Browser utility shows several services are available but nothing related to printers.

What is the Rendezvous Browser?
Authored by: allenhuffman on Jul 29, '04 09:41:19PM

Indeed, I could type in "ilamp.local" in Internet Explorer and find my iMac's web server (which is neat in its own way), but I don't have a Rendezvous/OpenTalk printer -- only a USB printer hooked to the same iMac.

What is the Rendezvous Browser?

---
-- OS-9 Al

What is the Rendezvous Browser?
Authored by: sjk on Jul 30, '04 09:22:47PM
Rendezvous Browser

Remember Google, MacUpdate, VersionTracker, etc. :-)

10.3: Print from Windows XP to a shared Mac printer
Authored by: arisin on Dec 04, '04 06:15:14AM

Hm, this doesn't work for me: I have a Canon i450 USB printer hooked to my G5. Windows filesharing and printersharing are on. I can see the printer on the winxp machine in the explorer, but theres no way to make it appear in the rendezvous browser from apple.
Reading in some rendezvous descriptions, i learned that the mac os x built in printersharing function uses smb protocol for sharing, not rendezvous. It would work for a usb printer connected to an airport-basestation, but i have none :(.
I'm currently trying to make the printer appear in rendezvous browsers like iRoster and Rendezvous Browser, but i have no experiences in these things.

Are there any tricks, tutorials etc on the net?

thx for help
Michael

10.3: Print from Windows XP to a shared Mac printer
Authored by: arisin on Dec 05, '04 06:02:25AM
Actually i found a freeware which lets me publish rendezvous services: Network beacon. What i need now is information what to describe the printer in the TXT-record like the following but for my canon i450:

txtvers=1rp=printershpdeskjetnote=Comlab 8211ty=HP Deskjet 980product=(HP Deskjet 980C)usb_MFG=HPusb_MDL=DESKJET 980Cpdl=application/vnd.hp-PCLBinary=TTBCP=T

10.3: Print from Windows XP to a shared Mac printer
Authored by: dr_click on Mar 10, '05 12:32:42PM

Rendezvous for Windows (Tech Preview 4) will only discover printers that either

• Are connected to the network and respond to Rendezvous scans, or

• Are connected to the USB port on an Airport Extreme or Express.

RfW TP4 will not find printers that are connected to another Mac. I wasted multiple hours trying to get a ThinkPad to find an iMac-attached printer until I read the .doc file included in the RfW distribution (serves me right!).