Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: agallisa on Jul 07, '04 02:05:38AM

I would love to see a way to display the 5 latest subjects and to: from my mail with this tool. Kind of like mail notify does or mail bezel in konfabulator.

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: ybizeul on Jul 07, '04 04:12:56AM

Thank you guys for this article, this will motivate me to start working on GT3 :-)

There should ba a way to do what you want with Mail.app using AppleScript in geektool, just like the iTunes tip.

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: avarame on Jul 07, '04 03:03:13PM

Try Stattoo, from panic.com. Much less flexible, but it has a handful of default plugins, including one for Mail.app.

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: wah on Jul 07, '04 03:11:30PM

Does anyone know how to display mail's dock icon?

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: acm7110 on Jul 07, '04 10:38:19PM
Try this: http://www.bronsonbeta.com/mailappetizer/

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: wah on Jul 08, '04 01:55:59PM

Thanks. nice little plug-in. But what I'd like to figure out is how to display mail's numbered dock icon (or any image for that matter) at desktop level when I have unread messages.

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: Eravau on Jul 08, '04 06:37:24PM
All I did was create a one-line AppleScript in a text file and called it unread_mail_count. Inside of it was:
   tell application "Mail" to set need_to_read to unread count of mailbox "your_mailbox_name" of account "your_account_name"
Then from GeekTool I added a shell "log" with the file path osascript /full/path/to/unread_mail_count

After that, it's just setting up the GeekTool window with the font, color, placement, etc. that you want.

GeekTool - Useful and fun info on the desktop
Authored by: acm7110 on Jul 21, '04 02:23:34PM

I Need Help:

I wish display in my desktop my To Do items from iCal, categorized for calendar and due date.

Are there an Appla Script & Geek Tool to make that possible???

TIA