Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use a commercial domain name with a dynamic IP' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use a commercial domain name with a dynamic IP
Authored by: mhorn on Jul 03, '04 11:02:18PM
http://www.namecheap.com has worked well for me. $8.88 a year with Dynamic DNS included.

Use a commercial domain name with a dynamic IP
Authored by: grossman on Jul 09, '04 04:30:11PM
Namecheap.com seems too good to be true -- they aren't ICANN accredited, though, are they? What does this mean, exactly? (The list of ICANN-accredited services can be seen at http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html.) Jeff

Use a commercial domain name with a dynamic IP
Authored by: grossman on Jul 09, '04 04:40:41PM

Oh, I'm sorry. Reading the Namecheap.com Registration Agreement more carefully, I see that:

Namecheap is a reseller to a registrar with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ("ICANN") for Top Level Domain Names (TLDs), currently .com, .net and .org. ICANN oversees registrations and other aspects of the TLDs. As a domain name reseller, Namecheap is, upon accepting your domain name registration application, your sponsor for that application. All domain name registrations we register for TLDs are not effective until we have delivered the domain name registration information you provide us to the registry administrator for the TLDs, as applicable, and the registry administrator puts into effect your domain name registration. Currently, the registry administrator for the .com, .net and .org TLDs is Network Solutions, Inc.

So Namecheap.com is just a reseller? How are they able to register for only $8.88, wwhen Network Solutions, Inc. is charging more like $35?

Thanks for your help. . .
Jeff

NameCheap & dynamic DNS
Authored by: sjk on Jul 09, '04 10:14:05PM

Anyone know of a good dynamic DNS client for OS X that works with NameCheap?

Use a commercial domain name with a dynamic IP
Authored by: ExUser1 on Jul 12, '04 08:34:34PM

Another cheap registrar is Names4Ever (www.names4ever.com). $8/year for just the domain. Sure, that doesn't include dynamic DNS, but there are tons of other free providers. I use both Zoneedit and xname.org. I have not had any problems with either. Only thing that I don't like about ZoneEdit is that they have a 200mb/year bandwidth limit. For email, I use a service called uucpssh.org. Their servers receive the email for your domain and then send it to you comp to do whatever. I'll eventually write the instructions on getting uucpssh working with OS X.

Unable to view page (connection refused)
Authored by: jhave on Jul 27, '04 10:22:41AM
I can't view the page from the outside. I'm getting a "connection refused message". G4 serving the site is sitting behind an Airport Snow Base Station. It has 10.0.0.2 as internal address. What do I do wrong? -jhave

---