Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Grab.app now supports window capture' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Grab.app now supports window capture
Authored by: nestorph on Jun 23, '04 12:05:38PM

Whenever I go to the Grab service, I always see the "Screen", "Selection", and "Timed Screen" options grayed out. What apps actually support Grab services?

Grab Services
Authored by: Uncle Asad on Jun 23, '04 12:59:57PM

I've used the Grab services only once, in OmniGraffle, because they finally were not greyed out and I wanted to see how it worked.... I'd sure like to use them with apps I use often, though :( All those services are neat, but it seems sooo few apps support even one or two of them.

Grab.app now supports window capture
Authored by: dweebert on Jun 23, '04 01:04:03PM

Services operate on the current selection and input context.

Grab services call on Grab.app to capture an image and insert it into the current selection in an open document, so you must be in a context which accepts an image on a pasteboard.

What this means is that your current focus must be something like editing a file in TextEdit, or composing a Mail message, or running some drawing app that supports the pasteboard.

Choosing the Grab service will take the picture, and place it at your insertion point. Choosing other services that generate text or images will do similar things, but note that some require an active selection upon which to act.

Grab.app now supports window capture
Authored by: roncross@cox.net on Jun 23, '04 02:39:31PM

Thanks, I just tried this and it works. I didn't know how to use the grab services before. I normally would just drag and drop the picture to where I want it. But services let you insert a picture where you want. That's makes Grab.app more convenient for inserting images into a document.

thx
RLC

---
rlc

Grab.app now supports window capture
Authored by: osxpounder on Jun 23, '04 02:50:32PM

Thanks for clearing that up; I always wondered by even Apple apps like Safari showed me nothing but greyed-out Grab options on the Services menu. Seems to me that this reliance on pasteboard ability is a handicap to Grab -- I don't use it, since there are good screen cap utils out there and since, if I want to cap a window, I can always use Apple's built-in method: CMD-SHIFT-4, then whack the spacebar .... Personally, I favor Constrictor, because its options and preferences suit my needs perfectly.

---
osxpounder

Grab.app now supports window capture
Authored by: mahakk on Jun 24, '04 05:14:06AM

you didn't understand, obviously.

the "grab" service is not meant to grab a screenshot OF the current document/application, but rather to insert a screenshot INTO the current document/application.

since you can't insert a picture into a webpage viewed in safari, you can't use the grab service there.