Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Remove shortcuts from applications' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: Frederico on Jun 19, '04 09:04:02PM

I was maddened by the same thing sometime after upgrading to OS X 10.2.6; it still exists as of 10.3.3. My workaround was to move all frequent keystroke commands for Entourage Script Menu items to Keyboard Maestro. I left a couple of infrequently used keystrokes in the native Entourage invocation engine so I could test for interference with each upgrade; no joy to date.

It's not a huge deal, and it's arguably better to use a universal application to manage keystrokes in all apps, but, on the other hand, when an app provides a relatively painless engine to use on its own, it's tedious to go elsewhere to do the same thing -- especially if the keystroke manager isn't terribly well designed. I love KM, but it does have some keystroke creation-flow issues that make me dread having to add a new one, let alone several at a time (it feels to Microsoftian-wizard-like, with too many un-Mac-like steps to get a job done).

Beyond those issues, however, I find it reliable and invaluable, with additional features (especially pre-10.3.x) that make it worth the money. It is a good general tool to override the issues originating in this hint, and it was all I needed -- until OS X 10.3 broke GoLive 6, that is. I finally had to break down and buy Menu Master in order to restore functionality to a few hidden keystrokes (not available in the menus; thus not customizable by most apps, including GoLive's own shortcut manager), namely returning function of Command-comma to the Link Inspector, rather than the now-global default of opening app prefs.

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: beneden on Jun 20, '04 08:06:38AM

So I'm not imagining this:)

I tried now to use the keyboard C/P to map a shortcut to an Entourage script. (Changed the script file name first to prevent a conflict.) Funny, I mean extremely annoying: Exact same behavior. Entourage script menu still shows the shortcut associated with the script - and malfunctions just the same.

I wonder if Entourage 2004 still does same - or is it a system glitch after all? but won't touch it before at least the first "service release."

Ben

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: Frederico on Jun 20, '04 11:14:46PM

Ben, by using Panther's Keyboard PP, all you are doing is assigning a keystroke which will show in the menu, just as though Entourage had done so, and the keystroke invokes the very same access to the ASS via Entourage. The reason my solution works is that KM, as a running background application, has its own ASS engine/access to execute the scripts.

The bug is certainly within Entourage (surprise); though the conflict came about when OS X took a more active role (starting with the modified Universal Access) of "listening" for keystrokes and taking advanced action upon them.

The bad news is that the behavior persists (surprise again) in Entourage 2004.

There are other keystroke managers you can use besides KM to do the same thing, if you prefer a different attack (or price) to gain the same target.

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: beneden on Jun 21, '04 05:10:08AM
Federico, Thanks for explaining! No surprise that Entourage is the culprit - and too bad no change in 2004. (Of course, new apps aren't usually newly coded from the ground up.. but the expectation always is there..) (Actually, I keep being surprised how well Entourage manages complex tasks / volumes of data - so far I haven't had single data loss, when I exclude Palm synchronization, where the culpa might be shared.) I can't imagine using any other program - in fact there are no competitors for integrated email/pim. If there's a free utility you could suggest for above problem, I'm all ears. Best, Ben Photojournalist and Wedding Photographer, London, UK

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: Frederico on Jun 22, '04 01:50:57AM

I have not personally played with any of the free utilities since KM (formerly Program Switcher under legacy Mac OS) became native to OS X; before then I used to use Youpi Key (whose name has since changed). A quick look on VersionTracker returned two pages of results on the keyword 'shortcut'; keyword 'hot key' turned up several more. Many are free; many are shareware; some are even crippleware that have unpaid modes where they will perform limited actions until you pay for a registration.

One often overlooked utility for this purpose is FruitMenu, which, while a bit more tedious to assign keystrokes and manage hot keys, does at least give you a lot of bang for the buck, given that it also adds a powerful Apple Menu replacement, as well as a Contextual Menu plugin to add numerous powerful features and functions.

Hit VT and d/l all the free ones to try them out; you may find them adequate for your needs, or you might try some of the share or commercial wares, and find features and enhancements to your Mac life you didn't know you could live without.

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: Frederico on Jun 22, '04 01:52:08AM

ack. Mark that last line 'couldn't'. -- F

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: beneden on Jun 22, '04 04:42:24AM

>ack. Mark that last line 'couldn't'. -- F

Hi Frederico,

Thanks again. FruitMenu note taken.

As to your ack.. I think it's valid both ways, actually:)

Best,

Ben

Remove shortcuts from applications
Authored by: Frederico on Jun 27, '04 03:08:58AM

I just discovered Yet Another Utility that handles script execution via keystroke, if desired: the excellent Drop Drawers. I must say, I'm embarrassed to admit that I have no idea how long this feature has been a part of the program. I use it extensively as an application launcher for all those apps I use which I do not use often enough to give a keystroke shortcut; having a visual pop-up(out/over/down/etc) of applications in any given group is much nicer, IMHO, than sorting through your applications directories.

It can also host a myriad of things from clippings to aliases, sounds and movies, and more. It even does one more thing that I sorely miss from the Legacy Mac OS Popup (tabbed) Finder windows, and that is to allow a folder alias to act as a proxy for drag'n'drop operations. If only it could allow a drawer to act exactly as an old fashioned Legacy Popup, displaying its contents and allowing sorting and access as a Finder window does It does, at least allow for contextual access to a folder's contents.

Now that I know it also does keystrokes and rapid script execution, I will probably shift a large chunk of KM's usage to it, if only because it has a much more elegant setup interface. KM still provides invaluable window switching options (Cntrl-Tilde per focussed app), even if its app switching option has been effectively killed as of Panther (although it still offers advanced enhanced features there, too). It also hosts a nifty multiple clipboard feature, too. KM also allows for application-specific keystroke isolation (as does Panther KB PP, MenuMaster), which Drop Drawers apparently cannot.