Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Relocated home folder and a non-emptiable trash' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Relocated home folder and a non-emptiable trash
Authored by: wheeles on Jun 02, '04 08:21:54AM
Looks like you have a bunch of files with strange characters. This can cause problems with deletion. However, the excellent O'Reilly's Unix Power Tools has an answer to most unix problems. Here's an excerpt I found online that might help.

Relocated home folder and a non-emptiable trash
Authored by: fltman on Jun 02, '04 09:45:42AM
Thanks, I tried it but with no luck. This was interesting:

sudo od -c .
Password:
od: .: Operation not permitted
why is it not possible to run od as root? Very strange. Luckily the ls -b was available so i used it then run the perl version... check ths out:

ls -q
ri_reng??????pg
maskinen:~/.Trash/webb/PersonalAdmin/StaffImg_ab andersbj$ ls -b
ri_reng\355\266\202\355\275\252pg
maskinen:~/.Trash/webb/PersonalAdmin/StaffImg_ab andersbj$ perl -e 'unlink("ri_reng\355\266\202\355\275\252pg");'
maskinen:~/.Trash/webb/PersonalAdmin/StaffImg_ab andersbj$ ls
ri_reng??????pg
The file is still there. So it didn't work, I also tried the c-hack but with no luck. :( Thanks anyway...

How to deal with strange characters
Authored by: hamarkus on Jun 02, '04 10:42:55AM

Maybe this helps with your strange characters:
- cd into one of the directories
- type 'sudo rm' and then press the Tab button
this will auto-complete the filename (if there is only one file in this folder) in whatever transcription the terminal likes to have these special characters.

How to deal with strange characters
Authored by: fltman on Jun 02, '04 01:04:20PM
Nope, I've tried that but with no luck...

ls
ri_reng??????pg
maskinen:~/.Trash/webb/PersonalAdmin/StaffImg_ab andersbj$ rm ri_reng\355\266\202\355\275\252pg
rm: ri_rengí¶í½ªpg: No such file or directory
maskinen:~/.Trash/webb/PersonalAdmin/StaffImg_ab andersbj$ ls
ri_reng??????pg

Maybe your directory structure is damaged
Authored by: hamarkus on Jun 02, '04 01:20:29PM

I'm just guessing, but maybe your directory structure is damaged. Try DiskUtility-FirstAid-verify, or another disk utility.

Or have you tried Firewire Target disk mode?
Authored by: hamarkus on Jun 02, '04 01:46:03PM

Or have you tried Firewire Target disk mode?

Or have you tried Firewire Target disk mode?
Authored by: fltman on Jun 02, '04 04:31:06PM

sure I have, I have tried it in firewire mode, I have booted it in OS9, I have mounted it as a afp, smb share on booth osx, os9 and win machines with no luck. I have tried to delete the files by using ftp. I have mad different perl, php, c, java programs that should be able to delete the files but with no luck.

Maybe your directory structure is damaged
Authored by: fltman on Jun 02, '04 04:28:20PM

tried it with no luck. :(