Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Any practical advice how set Blosxom up?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Any practical advice how set Blosxom up?
Authored by: hamarkus on May 28, '04 02:01:37PM

Any practical advice how set Blosxom up if you run it on your own computer?

Is there any way to get static html pages (i.e. files) out of it, that I could mirror to a webserver with a fixed IP?

Any practical advice how set Blosxom up?
Authored by: tinker on May 28, '04 03:45:45PM

I run it on my own machine and I never tinkered with permissions. (But, like I said, I'm hardly an authority.) Static rendering, I think, is one of the options handled in /CGI-Executables/blosxom.cgi.

But how do put files into /Library/.../docs w/o changing permissions?
Authored by: hamarkus on May 28, '04 04:31:34PM

As I understand it, I put text files into the /Library/Webserver/Documents/Blosxom/docs folder which are then incorporated into an 'html file' which other people can find at http://[my IP]/Weblogs.

Unfortunately, the owner of the docs folder is www and the group is staff. This means I, as an admin user, cannot put any (text) files into that folder. Since it is the whole point to put files into this folder, I either have to change the permissions of this folder (i.e. group to admin) or login as root or use sudo to put my files in it.

I have the strong feeling that I misunderstand something here, I mean, it cannot be that complicated.

But how do put files into /Library/.../docs w/o changing permissions?
Authored by: argh128 on May 28, '04 05:19:46PM

I don't use bloxom.. but you can do the following.

1) Add your self to the staff group. You can do this by using the netinfo manager, selecting groups and inserting a new value to the users property. Set the value of the inserted property to your short username.

2) make sure that the group staff has read/write privileges to the directories in question.

---

A completely SANE Canadian.

But how do put files into /Library/.../docs w/o changing permissions?
Authored by: tinker on May 28, '04 08:30:27PM

I did this a while ago and don't remember the details of setting it up, but, as I have it set up (and maybe I did it incorrectly!), I don't actually have a docs folder. I have a number of /Webserver/Documents/Blosxom/foo/ directories, where "foo" might be "News" or "Books" or whatever, and the individual .txt files go inside these directories. This as I understand it is part of Blosxom's appeal: the message tree mirrors the directory tree inside /Blosxom. Since I created these directories, I can access them without sudo-ing.

Any practical advice how set Blosxom up?
Authored by: n8gray on Jun 01, '04 08:05:16PM
Any practical advice how set Blosxom up if you run it on your own computer? I mean, should one add oneself to staff (the group for the docs folder) or change the group (for the docs folder) to admin?

You already are in the staff group.

Yes, if you run blosxom.cgi from the command line it will generate static pages. You need to give it some info first (a location where to put the files, which files to generate, and a password to make it harder for random browsers to activate this feature). See this page for details.

Also, I've written a blog entry that might help you understand the permissions issues with setting up Blosxom.