Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Unauthorize old machines?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Unauthorize old machines?
Authored by: mattmend on May 13, '04 12:57:20PM

Hi -

Semi on-topic. Is there a way to deauthorize a computer one no longer has access to? I think I've all but used up my authorizations, but by old machines that have long since been sold to other people.

TIA -

Matt

Unauthorize old machines?
Authored by: rhowell on May 13, '04 01:00:55PM

iTunes->Help->Search "authorize"

Sorry...
Authored by: rhowell on May 13, '04 01:03:43PM

I see, that you do not have access to. I'd try here as a first step:

www.apple.com/support/itunes/authorization.html

(also from the iTunes Help pages)

Unauthorize old machines?
Authored by: figz on May 13, '04 01:56:16PM

To deauthorize a computer to which you no longer have access, contact iTunes Music Store Customer support using the Web form at http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/authorization.html

Unauthorize old machines?
Authored by: adrianm on May 13, '04 02:19:59PM

And on the same track.....

"I've long lost all my serial numbers for my legally bought software (honest), how can get to install it again without them?"

Or maybe the poster really is so dumb as to not have read anything about authorisation or noticed the 'Advanced -> Deauthorize Computer' option before selling all those Macs.

Unauthorize old machines?
Authored by: mattmend on May 13, '04 02:36:01PM

Normally I wouldn't bother responding to such a flame but tossing the word 'dumb' around, I can't help myself. I've legitimately purchased 7 iBooks and/or Powerbooks in the last two years. It's not unreasonable to expect that I would have wiped the drive and sold the machine without occuring to me that the 5 songs I've purchased from the Store need to be deauthorized on that machine. And for Apple not to provide an interface to authorize and deauthorize machines through iTunes once userID is verified is really what's 'dumb'.

And by the way, why the need to be hateful? Your life that mundane that you need a little excitement by throwing around insults?

Unauthorize old machines?
Authored by: LEC on Jan 13, '05 09:12:22PM

Hi
Even-less-on-topic but I came here looking for this information, so I'll record it for others:-
The authorization information for your computer is stored in the invisible file SC Info.sidb in the invisible folder SC Info in /Users/Shared. So if you thought you never used /Users/Shared and you only back up your home folder, think again!

[This information is of no help to would-be pirates - the SC Info.sidb combines your authorization code from Apple with 'fingerprint' data of your computer, so it is useless on any other machine]