Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'The Windows alternative' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
The Windows alternative
Authored by: pwever on May 06, '04 11:26:50AM
I used to work with a company that was doing something similar. Categorizing music according to fuzzy parameters: moods, among many other thing. Unfortunately they only developed a PC version so far. http://moodlogic.com/
Pretty amazing though. Let's ask them for a Mac version.

The Windows alternative
Authored by: bluehz on May 06, '04 12:20:30PM

Isn't this really what the "grouping" field is for?

The Windows alternative
Authored by: joestalin on May 06, '04 03:41:23PM

Technically, no. The grouping tag was originally intended to indicate that an individual track is part of a movement (you know, so-and-so's 7th symphony, 3rd movement).

Of course, there's not much use for that in pop music, and I myself have been using it as an alternate keywords field. I have a few keyboard macros that trigger applescripts that add certain keywords into the group field; I use these to build smart playlists. So if I'm listening to a track and say to myself "oh, that should have the 'downtempo' tag," I just hit cmd-cntl-opt-D.

Grouping
Authored by: kirkmc on May 07, '04 08:02:26AM

Groupings are not designed for movements; you don't group movements, you label them individually. Groupings were designed for ad hoc groupings that are not genres. You can make groupings in any way you want: call them fun music, sonatas, blues instrumentals, whatever.

Grouping
Authored by: joestalin on May 07, '04 06:59:17PM

I was slightly off with "movements" but I stand by my original point. See this thread.

Grouping
Authored by: erickaterman on May 08, '04 10:31:45PM

I thought this might clear things up a little bit. It's directly from the iTunes AS dictionary:

grouping Unicode text -- the grouping (piece) of the track. Generally used to denote movements within a classical work.

Personally, I use it for sub-genres.

The Windows alternative
Authored by: lagroue on May 06, '04 01:22:21PM

Surely, such a deep metataging is very precious, and many algorithms may be developped to extract fabulous informations or playlists.

I've also heard of a juke box which would connect to the internet to find links between artists - the goal is to say to the computer : "play continuously from the Rolling Stones at 8pm, to the 5th of Beethoven at 2am, and include the Kill Bill "Bang Bang" song at 10pm."

It isn't supposed to connect to a centralized server, so I guess it will google around - IMHO I'm not sure it will be sufficient.

Anyway, the future of music machines seems pretty, no ?
iTunes already allows us - with some pain, indeed - to do nice things.