Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Record and playback high definition TV signals' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: readparse on Apr 28, '04 05:43:42PM

This is a super cool hint, but I was wondering if you MUST have HDTV signal from your cable company to watch TV on your computer. I just picked up a new box today for a completely unrelated reason and it happens to have firewire output, but I have not subscribed to HDTV content. Obviously HD will look better, but is it necessary?

Thanks,
RP

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: gqmacguy on Apr 28, '04 08:35:28PM

Yeah I am wondering the same thing (was just about to post the same question, but then i refreshed). Is it required to have HD to record. I am goin to call TWC - Kansas City- when i get home, but was wondering if it could record other than just HDTV. (also, wouldnt this kinda defeat the purpose of eyeTV??)

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: fool41 on Apr 29, '04 11:46:13AM

Seriously, though, I'm sure it was that one that was also drafted on April 1st.

Anyone remember what day April 1st is?

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: readparse on Apr 29, '04 11:47:11AM

Sure, I'll go ahead and reply to my own comment... as lame as that might seem. Here's the rub. Sure, recording is cool. I actually just want to WATCH my TV on my Mac. Yeah, I could go buy a card, but with a firewire out on my cable box, it makes me think I could hook the sucker up and watch away.

The only reason I don't just try it is because firewire cables ain't the cheapest and I have to buy a 6-pin to 6-pin cable. The only one I have is 6-to-4. Before I spend the $35 or so, I'd be curious about what I'm up against.

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: g4zilla on Apr 30, '04 04:40:24AM

I picked up a 15 foot cable for $10.95:

Even with $5 shipping, that's still cheap! (Oh, and I use the cable regularly; FW disk mode, hooking up the company Nikon, etc.--no problems!)

You CAN Record Regular TV (SDTV)... IF...
Authored by: EatingPie on Apr 29, '04 02:22:25PM

You CAN record SDTV (regular TV), but ONLY from digital channels. The statations must be digital in order for them to go out over the firewire port.

Digital stations and HDTV are in the same format coming over the firewire.... MPEG2 Transport Stream. The HD content is just higher resolution, and a lot more data.

-Pie

---
-Pie
<http://www.storybytes.com>

You CAN Record Regular TV (SDTV)... IF...
Authored by: gqmacguy on Apr 30, '04 12:16:23PM

So basically if i have Time Warner Digital Cable, or Everest Digital Cable, i just need to call and request to have a new digital cable box sent out with the firewire option. then i could record non-HDTV programming for personal viewing (i.e., high tech dvr). Hmmmm, DEF something to look into!

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: SAMouzon on Oct 12, '04 06:11:22PM

I simply want to play the signal in real time. The shareware utilities mentioned here are useful for recording and playing back, but don't seem to work for simply viewing. Any idea what might work for viewing? One post suggested iMovie, but that does not work.

Thanks!