Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Record and playback high definition TV signals' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: cudaboy_71 on Apr 28, '04 02:36:48PM

i've not yet. but, you can bet i'll be trying it when i get home tonite. i havent ooked at the back of my hd converter since they dropped it off--but i seem to recall only seeing component and svideo ports. i'll be very happy if there is a firewire port. if not, i'll be calling comcast for an upgrade.

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: osxpounder on Apr 28, '04 02:50:13PM

I'll be moving house soon, and if Comcast doesn't want to provide me a Firewire box for my new home, I think I'll just tell them to take their cable and shove it.

---
osxpounder

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: MacOSXAddict on Apr 28, '04 03:19:40PM

I'm on Comcrap also. I'll be ordering the HD upgrade this afternoon. I hope it works good with my Dual g5, and 23'HD lcd.

Bob

---
Bob

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: cudaboy_71 on Apr 28, '04 07:55:11PM

well, i got home to check my unit. its got a firewire label, but just a blank under the label. i'll have to call tomorrow to see if i can get a firewire enabled box.

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: opalinteractive on Apr 29, '04 06:40:19AM

what about just playback of the firewire input, instead of record/playback,
what would you use?

my guess is either imovie, final cut express ... or some web cam software... would work correct?

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: cudaboy_71 on Apr 29, '04 11:21:01AM

i'm curious what you'd use playback only for with firewire.

the DVI and component outs already provide that feature. do you have some display device that ONLY has firewire inputs?

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Playback Over Firewire
Authored by: EatingPie on Apr 29, '04 02:11:26PM

There's only two ways to playback over firewire.

(1) If your TV has a firewire port on it -- all Mitsubishis, Some Sony's, etc... -- you just connect your Mac, use VirtualDVHS and you're done.

(2) You need an external device that (a) has a Firewire port, (b) can decode MPEG2 TS, and (c) has HD Component video out. Basically, this includes the JVC 30000U and JVC 40000U D-VHS players... and nothing else!

The Cable box is an output-only Firewire, so it will NOT accept Firewire in and decode for you.

-Pie