Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Record and playback high definition TV signals' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: phlavor on Apr 28, '04 01:37:10PM

I would like to hear if anyone has tried this with Comcast. The last I heard they would not install a HD box without the presence of an HD set and would not release one to a customer for self installation. Frustrating, considering that their HD box is the only one with 5.1 outputs. Grrrrrr.

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: cudaboy_71 on Apr 28, '04 02:36:48PM

i've not yet. but, you can bet i'll be trying it when i get home tonite. i havent ooked at the back of my hd converter since they dropped it off--but i seem to recall only seeing component and svideo ports. i'll be very happy if there is a firewire port. if not, i'll be calling comcast for an upgrade.

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: osxpounder on Apr 28, '04 02:50:13PM

I'll be moving house soon, and if Comcast doesn't want to provide me a Firewire box for my new home, I think I'll just tell them to take their cable and shove it.

---
osxpounder

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: MacOSXAddict on Apr 28, '04 03:19:40PM

I'm on Comcrap also. I'll be ordering the HD upgrade this afternoon. I hope it works good with my Dual g5, and 23'HD lcd.

Bob

---
Bob

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: cudaboy_71 on Apr 28, '04 07:55:11PM

well, i got home to check my unit. its got a firewire label, but just a blank under the label. i'll have to call tomorrow to see if i can get a firewire enabled box.

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: opalinteractive on Apr 29, '04 06:40:19AM

what about just playback of the firewire input, instead of record/playback,
what would you use?

my guess is either imovie, final cut express ... or some web cam software... would work correct?

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: cudaboy_71 on Apr 29, '04 11:21:01AM

i'm curious what you'd use playback only for with firewire.

the DVI and component outs already provide that feature. do you have some display device that ONLY has firewire inputs?

---
if it aint broke, break it!

Playback Over Firewire
Authored by: EatingPie on Apr 29, '04 02:11:26PM

There's only two ways to playback over firewire.

(1) If your TV has a firewire port on it -- all Mitsubishis, Some Sony's, etc... -- you just connect your Mac, use VirtualDVHS and you're done.

(2) You need an external device that (a) has a Firewire port, (b) can decode MPEG2 TS, and (c) has HD Component video out. Basically, this includes the JVC 30000U and JVC 40000U D-VHS players... and nothing else!

The Cable box is an output-only Firewire, so it will NOT accept Firewire in and decode for you.

-Pie

---
-Pie
<http://www.storybytes.com>

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: rtucker on Apr 28, '04 04:49:13PM

I currently have Motorola 5100 STB through Comcast without the firewire port. The customer service rep said it was no problem to upgrade to a box with a firewire port (Moto 6200).

One caveat, they don't stock hdtv boxes in the central office (Lowell, MA), so they are sending a guy around tomorrow to install the box ($15 charge). If it works I'd say it's worth it.

For the record, I already have a Sony HDTV, so I can't comment on their willingness to install the 6200 in a location with only SDTV.

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: reeses on Apr 28, '04 05:57:42PM

In my market (Bethesda, MD) the DVR is the same as the HD box, and it includes the fw port and 5.1 audio.

Re: Comcast - Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: macslut on Apr 28, '04 09:26:52PM

I have Comcast cable in Palo Alto, CA. They won't give you a box, they want to come and install it for you, but there was no way I was going to let someone touch my system. The cable guy was cool with just handing me the box and cables. I told him I wouldn't need any help given my background, but he kinda insisted (nicely) on giving me a brief rundown and even gave me a card with his cell phone so I could call him if I had any questions. The quality of the picture varies greatly. Sometimes it looks awesome, while other times the compression artifacts are very noticeable.

I'll be testing with my Mac soon.

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: dcottle on May 06, '04 03:47:02PM

I got the box from comcast, it has the firewire ports, they charge an extra $5 a month. They asked if I had an HD TV and I said yes (the computer). I've connected it and tried VirtualDVHS on channels 0, 1, and 63. No luck.

COMCAST: Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: uurf on May 08, '04 07:55:07PM

So I tried Channels 0-63, no luck.

I called Comcast and asked them to "enable my FireWire port" since I had just purchased a HD monitor with a FW interface.

They said OK, and remote reset the cable box. They didn't know which FireWire Channel I could expect to find the signal on.

I'm supposed to wait 5-10 minutes, but so far still no luck on ch. 0, 1, or 63; I'm going to wait until I put my wrist through setting each channel and trying it.

COMCAST: Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: dcottle on May 11, '04 06:59:12PM

I just got off the phone with Comcast and finally got someone who seemed like they knew what they were talking about. They said I needed the 6200 box, not the 5100, which I have. He had me set the box into diagnostic mode (power button, then select) and looked at a bunch of data confirming I do have 7.07 and one screen with I/O information and he said the firewire is working. So it must be the software end. I'm stuck.

COMCAST: Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: uurf on May 12, '04 05:10:52PM
Last night I tried to record using AV/C Browser enhanced, and was successful. I didn't try VirtualDVHS again, but will later tonight. So my 6200, Comcast in San Jose, works - I was pretty excited.

COMCAST: Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: xgrep on Jul 15, '04 03:45:06PM

I had my Comcast Moto HD box swapped yesterday for a firewire-enabled job, and did manage to get it to work, though for a while I thought I had cooked the firewire ports or something. I could see it in AVCbrowser (channel 0) but not get it in virtualDVHS, then not see it in AVCbrowser even after various reboots and power-offs. But after some combination of diddling I did get it to record reliably (haven't tried to program any timers, though).

All I can say is "awesome (with reservations below)". I had previously successfully used a Samsung SIR-T165 with virtualDVHS, but returned it because I couldn't get enough stations at my location to justify keeping the box (tried too many antenna configurations to describe). With my minimum Comcast subscription (basic service @ $12.60 plus $5 for the HD box), I currently get 8 HD channels (4 SF Bay Area locals plus ESPN, 2 INHD, and Discovery). It's very interesting to see the different bitrates on different channels. Discovery is almost always around 20Mbps while KQED-HD (PBS) is typically around 13Mbps (which it was OTA, too - no surprise). The others vary depending on content being broadcast, a lot of which is just resized SD (and Seinfeld reruns aren't great source to begin with).

Frankly, though, from a practical perspective, using my Mac to timeshift HD isn't wonderful. For one thing, it's nowhere near as convenient as a dedicated box would be (like a DVHS unit). But mainly, disk space is a problem. Even with a 250GB drive, I can't keep much content for very long. I'm seriously considering one of the new 1.6TB drives (Seagate, Lacie), but this is getting to be an expensive habit. And until a blu-ray recorder shows up under the xmas tree, there's no archival possible. But it's progress. Big progress.

By the way, on my 800MHz G4, VLC playback of HD has jumpy video (audio is fine). This is with the internal hard drive. I'm figuring probably an 800MHz G4 is underpowered, but has anyone else seen this and solved it on this (or a slower) processor?

cheers,