Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Record and playback high definition TV signals' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: dave@mmu on Apr 28, '04 12:25:47PM

Oh and live in the US of A of course! No such luck for us brits!

Dave

---
Dave L

Record and playback high definition TV signals. UK workaround (sorta)
Authored by: ibroughton on Apr 29, '04 03:03:24AM

I agree, once again we lag so far behind the technology availible in the US. I can't even begin to imagine a company like Sky or NTL providing firewire enabled boxes in this country! The easiest way I have found to rip programs in the UK (Lets face it, that's basically what this hint is) is to get a stand alone DVD recorder and record direct from your provider (Don't do it via a Tivo because the multiple layers of compression make for bad picture quality) then use something like DVDxDVPro to extract it onto your Mac. I know this is slightly off topic, but it's the best us Brits are going to get for a while I think!

---
The server is up but the site is down and I don't know which direction you are trying to go

Record and playback high definition TV signals. UK workaround (sorta)
Authored by: el bid on Apr 30, '04 05:06:50AM

> I agree, once again we lag so far behind the technology
> availible in the US.

Eh? FreeView? DAB? GSM? The BBC and its Audio Webcasting?

---
el bid

Record and playback high definition TV signals. UK workaround (sorta)
Authored by: ibroughton on May 14, '04 06:54:01AM

Yes, like I said, far behind.

Freeview = The third reincarnation/rehash of failed OnDigital/ITVDigital
DAB = Radio where the quality of signal is so dire (if you live outside of say, London) you might as well pick up an old transistor radio instead, and there is virtually 0% support for Mac users.
Audio webcasting = Streaming audio, not exactly difficult in this day and age.
Not exactly advanced now is it? Please be serious, we can't even get proper support for Tivo in this country. How much further ahead is the US in this technology? Answer is.... LOTS.

---

Record and playback high definition TV signals. UK workaround (sorta)
Authored by: tkld on Jul 16, '04 04:47:53AM

What about El Gato's Eye TV 400?

Freeview receiver with firewire connection (not USB). Proper timeshifting of anamorphic widescreen digital TV.

Think you need to subscribe to TVTV's web service to get the full effect, perhaps this will change when Freeview finally start broadcasting the 7 day EPG for the whole country instead of just test regions.

Not sure if it has a smart card slot to get TopupTV's pay service as well (but their channels are all pants anyway :-)

Record and playback high definition TV signals
Authored by: el bid on Apr 30, '04 04:27:41AM

Yup, I often think our US cousins read "World Wide Web" as meaning, geez, it stretches all the way from San Francisco to New York. This submission could usefully have begun "Here in the States, if you want to enjoy HDTV..." etc.

Here in the UK, we have FreeView. I have a Nebula USB box (http://www.nebula-electronics.com) on my network (admittedly, it needs to be attached to a Windows machine), recording transmission-stream digital TV. Stuff I want to keep gets edited and crunched with XviD, and so can be viewed right across the network on pretty much any operating system. A FreeView box is a one-off purchase (entry level is about GBP40.00 these days, and the Nebula box is in the area of GBP120.00, including a very classy remote control.)

The Nebula box can steam over the networks, but ATM only to another Windows machine. I haven't yet managed to persuade VLC on the Mac to run the Nebula-recorded transmission stream, in realtime or recorded -- I've reported this to the Nebula folks. In any case, they tell me that an upcoming version of the (frequently updated) Nebula software will be able to record in programme stream MPEG2, which should make this work.

el bid

---
el bid

how to transcode m2t files?
Authored by: lateplate on May 07, '04 06:48:01PM

i saw a previous comment from rtucker that say to transcode the ts format to ps format, and then squash it down into another format. has anyone had any luck with this? can someone provide the command to perform the transcode process? thanks!

also, thanks to pie for the little hint with playback with vlc...had the same problem, and it did the trick

G3 B&W VirtualDVHS Crash
Authored by: eac1218 on Jun 11, '04 09:30:23PM

Has anyone else run into the problem where VirtualDVHS crashes a G3 B&W? I have two G3 B&Ws a ver 1 and ver 2 motherboard, and both exhibit the same problem. You launch the application, and it loads, but when it looks for devices the system locks up and requires a hard reboot.

G3 B&W VirtualDVHS Crash
Authored by: daylight28 on Aug 13, '04 07:02:13AM

i think you would need a AGP card which g3 and early g4s do not have. you can't incode mpeg 2 with out an agp card so i read with other apple software (dvd studio pro,FCP, etc)

G3 B&W VirtualDVHS Crash
Authored by: xpander on Aug 20, '04 08:03:48PM

That's bull. The guy that has the modified app ran it on a beige g3 266, which either has a 2mb or 4mb built in video card, or a PCI alternative. So I imagine that a B&W (which i have, and does not crash) would be able to run it.