Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!


Click here to return to the 'More '/' Problems' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
More '/' Problems
Authored by: njitkoff on Dec 14, '01 03:11:08PM

It worked for me whon i tried it (on 0.9.5). I will look into it. I am probably going to bypass lame's tags entirely in the next version, so it should work anyway.



[ Reply to This | # ]
A more robust version
Authored by: james_sorenson on Dec 15, '01 03:41:50AM
Okay, I picked your script apart, added some stuff I needed, and took out some of the stuff that I don't. You can get the new script at: http://homepage.mac.com/james_sorenson/FileSharing.html Look in the scripts directory for Convert to HQ MP3 with Lame.scpt Here is what I changed: (1) Added my own Mac to Unix path conversion. This one is the most robust one I have made so far (will it ever end?). You can throw every screwball character at it except high-bit characters. This includes all punctuations, slashes, colons, tildes, etc. I still can't figure out high-bit characters, though. (2) Used iTunes for tag support exclusively. Take a look at how I did it. Each track you import will make its own applescript containing the link to the original track and labeled with the track database ID. Once lame has created the file, it will call this applescript file. That file will directly copy the tag information from the source track to the new track. No more worries about weird characters in the tag details! The applescript files are deleted once all tracks have been processed. (3) Added the ability to put new files into a genre folder, as well as artist and album. (4) Took out stuff for making multiple playlists. I sort everything by tags. (5) Added ability to tailor how the new file is named. You can number what order the artist, album, track, and title are listed in the file name--separated by dashes. (6) Added "macfixfile" function to simplify the created file names. Basically, it makes sure that the new filename will be void of high-bits, quotes, slashes, and tildes. This just makes it a lot more compatible with MP3 devices. The tag information inside the file will be un-touched, though. Shortcomings: You cannot delete the original file from the playlist until the conversion is done, or there will be nothing to get tag information from! In theory, I could copy all tag information to the applescript file, but I was too lazy to do it that way. Here is where I'd put my disclaimer that I hold no responsibility to what anguish any existing bugs may cause you. Once again, thanks for showing us how to do this! It's a relief to be able to use iTunes cddb tag support with lame's MP3 encoder engine! Jim

[ Reply to This | # ]
A more robust version
Authored by: kkthompson on Dec 16, '01 03:56:56PM

It looks like you have a hard coded path left in the code. When I execute, I get an error:
File Macintosh HD:Stuff:Users:sorenson:Library:iTunes:iTunesLame-345.scpt wasn't found. I don't know much about scripting, but it looks like it's being stored in the scriptfile variable...



[ Reply to This | # ]
A more robust version
Authored by: james_sorenson on Dec 16, '01 05:27:36PM

You are correct that I hard-coded some directories. They are stored in the property declarations at the very beginning of the script. I like to have direct control on where my temp files are going. However, it looks like he updated the script to include these abilities anyway, so use his.



[ Reply to This | # ]