Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: orangermac on Apr 07, '04 12:25:09PM

Has anyone been able to get outgoing mail to work. I'm getting the following error:
----------------------
The SMTP server "smtp.aol.com" rejected the password for user "_____"
----------------------

The password is the same that I used for incoming mail, so I don't know what the problem would be.

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: Loren on Apr 07, '04 12:39:04PM

Works for me in Entourage. I just had to turn on "smtp server requires authentication".

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: GlowingApple on Apr 07, '04 03:29:18PM

It also works in Outlook Express for PC according to a site I found through Google. Does anyone know if these apps have different default settings for port numbers / authentication types?

---
Jayson

When Microsoft asks you, "Where do you want to go today?" tell them "Apple."

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: googoo on Apr 07, '04 12:39:50PM

I do not use AOL, so this is pure speculation ...

Some dial-up services do not allow access to their SMTP servers unless the user is connected via dial-up (i.e., has a local IP address). I use Earthlink dial-up, but I cannot access their SMTP server from my office Ethernet. I have to use either Postfix on my Mac or my university's SMTP server to send a message "from" my Earthlink account. Could AOL be configured the same way?

-Mark

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: gsgm on Apr 07, '04 02:43:42PM

I can't check this while I am at work, but your hypothisys sounds correct.

AOL forces you to be logged in with thier client before you can FTP to the members.aol.com area (Which is the place where an AOL customer's web site is stored)

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: jrybolt on Apr 07, '04 02:44:08PM

It could very well be something like this, however as for your Earthlink problem (even though this is slightly off topic - although AOL might have a similar setup) use smtpauth.earthlink.net instead of smtp.earthlink.net when you are accessing Earthlink email while not connected to Earthlink via dial-up or Earthlink highspeed.

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: gsgm on Apr 07, '04 10:21:00PM

I'm getting the same message.

What type of authentication is needed?
In mail.app, there is the option of password, MD5, kerberos v5 and kerberos v4.

Also, for the username you need to include the @aol.com part (at least for the incoming side) I would assume you need to do the same for the smtp side.

Access AOL email via IMAP in mail clients
Authored by: gsgm on Apr 08, '04 10:35:26AM

As a short term solution, if you have another SMTP server that does not require authentication, you can have mail.app use that server as the default for sending mail and still use the imap to recieve.