Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Thunderbird vs. Mail.app... why?' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: Crimson Napkin on Apr 06, '04 07:46:11PM

I'd like to know why you Thunderbird users out there would choose it over Mail.app. I don't know much about the details of Thunderbird and don't really want to pour through the literature about it. Just looking for an informed summary of why it is better than Apple's freebie.

---
macosxhints.com is one reason PC users should switch to a Mac.

Authored by: krykertano on Apr 06, '04 08:11:25PM

Honestly, Thunderbird stinks in comparison to Mail.app. It's slow and it's not really Aqua native--all the UI elements feel like they're pasted on with Elmer's glue. I'm pretty sure most people who prefer Thunderbird do so because they're rabid open source zealots.

Authored by: seedy on Apr 07, '04 09:48:50AM

As an ex-AppleCare rep, I can say that the most rabid zealots in the computing world are Apple-zealots. They're the kind of folk who care more about GUI than functionality.

When Apple's Mail was peeing itself retrieving mail over a cable connection, many of these folks didn't want to try Mozilla to see if the issue was a connection issue or a Mail issue, but those who did got their eyes opened when Mozilla instantly grabbed their messages without a problem, while Mail kept putting up error messages about server problems.

Mail was one of the worst things we had to support, the program AC reps hated the most, next to Keychain.

While I worked there I refused to use Mail because it was so incompetent; one day they sent out an attachment, a Word file, and then had to send it again because Mail couldn't handle it. Mozilla handled it the first time without an issue.

So on a corporate LAN, Mail even makes Apple look bad, yet the Apple zealots insist that everything's fine, you're just thirsty, drink more koolaid.

Mozilla does two things that no Apple products do:

-You can hold-click on a link in an email and open it in a new tab, leaving your other tabs undisturbed (tabbed browsing did not debut on Safari, btw, but Safari is based on KHTML, which is product of open-source zealots)

-You can hold-click on a web page, choose Send Page from the menu, and Mozilla will open a new email with the page attached. Yeah you could write an Applescript to do the same thing, but then you'd be acting like an open-source zealot, no?

---
Nothing is Disposable

Authored by: seedy on Apr 07, '04 09:54:36AM

Also, if you want to make Mozilla look better, find a theme called Apollo for it, since Gerich hasn't updated Pinstripe for Moz lately.

The page with Aaron's themes is here:

---
Nothing is Disposable

Authored by: krykertano on Apr 07, '04 05:38:35PM

Hi!

FYI, Thunderbird isn't Mozilla--in particular, it lacks the ability to do the two things you pointed out. And when was the last time you used Mail.app? It's improved a lot in the last three years, you know...

And by the way--this is so irrelevant it verges on ridiculous to mention--the KHTML team is much less afflicted by open-source zealotry than the Mozilla project. Browse around Bugzilla for long enough, and you get the impression these people working on Mozilla are concerned about correctness above practicality and didacticism above good taste. Contrast with KHTML, which (for example) renders poorly coded pages much better than the Mozilla engine.

I stand by my assertion that Thunderbird is a bloated piece of poop (who the hell wants an XUL interface but open-source zealots?) even in its latest incarnations. I understand there are people who might need to use it for its special features, but I am unaware of any of these features that Mail.app lacks. Would you enlighten me?

Authored by: bezvardis on Dec 06, '04 10:35:49AM

I have no particular prejudies agains any of the programs but still after a short trial of mail.app I switched to Thunderbird. For two reasons:
1) I did not like the drawer with mailboxes on the right hand and could not figure out how to change that,
2) When typing my reply mail, the font seemed so tyiny that I had to use 16p instead of normal 12 to prevent my eyes getting hurt. And I could not figure out how to zoom in that window.

Thunderbird had better situation with both of these things. Sometimes it gets a bit slow but in general it does not have any serious problem.

Authored by: dik on Apr 07, '04 09:50:08AM

We have a serious problem with mail.app here at work that results in users having to put in passwords up to 15x times a day.

There's no way I'd recommend Micro$oft, and Eudora is seriously flawed - so when Thunderbird came along its seemed a wothwhile alternative.

As in my original post, I pointed out it does have some major flaws - but seeing as its a nightly build that incorporate the pinstripe theme, you have to respect it as an app that isn't 100% finished.

- oh and the fact that I'm religous about open source (some may say even a zealot), but hell its a pretty good stab for a free aplication (and one that stay that way (can anybody say iDisk))...

Authored by: dik on Apr 07, '04 09:52:35AM

damit this was supposed to be in response to ST's post...

Authored by: nesius on Jul 11, '05 03:25:08AM

One reason and one reason only for me.

I cannot figure out how to get Apple's Mail.app program to display plain-text attachments inline.

Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.... no problem.

Mail.app - simply shows an attachment. Double-clicking results in a prompt to choose an application even though the attachment is already defined by the mime headers as 'text'.

Authored by: st on Apr 07, '04 08:01:59AM

There are three major reasons for me to stick with Mozilla, which has an even uglier GUI than Thunderbird, but has more or less the same functionalities:

1. Option to prevent remote images to be displayed. Remote images are images that are not sent together with the message but that are downloaded from a website. With this option activated, most spam is rather harmless, sparing me images that I definitely do not want to see.

2. Folders separated by accounts. I have two IMAP mail accounts: private and business. With Mail it is not obvious which folder is on which account. With Mozilla and Thunderbird they are in two diferrent branches of the mail archive hierarchy. In fact, Mozilla supports full hierarchies, Mail, unless I'm mistaken, does not.

3. Incremental search (what some call find-as-you-type) in the message body. It's still the fastest user interface for searching texts.

Authored by: Crimson Napkin on Apr 07, '04 03:14:13PM

Wow. That open up a can of worms, lol.

Anyway, I appreciate the advice about Thunderbird. Sounds like, as someone with only 1 mail account, switching to Thuderbird (or Mozilla's mail) might not really be worth it. I've personally never had one bit of trouble with mail.app so I think switching would end up being not worth my time. Thanks!

(btw, I AM thinking of switching back to a Mozilla product for browsing instead of using Safari. As much as I like Safari, the fact that it cannot handle certain sites (usually secure, financial ones) is a major problem for me.)

-CrimNap

---
macosxhints.com is one reason PC users should switch to a Mac.

Authored by: peterjcarr on Aug 16, '04 12:46:18PM

Ever since updating via Software Update to 10.3.5 (from 10.3.4) circa Aug. 2004 my Mail application crashes regularly. About once every ten minutes.