Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: deleted_user18 on Mar 26, '04 11:16:17AM

Can be done easier by deleting the IE icon and using Safari instead :-)

Except...
Authored by: gaudior on Mar 26, '04 11:23:01AM

Even with the Debug/User Agent menu, I can't get Safari to work with my Credit Union site.

Except...
Authored by: swgs on Mar 27, '04 11:53:56PM

have you tried your Credit Union site with FireFix, Mozilla, or Camino? I'd be interested to know if that works. Also, please make sure to send your Safari bugs in to Apple, it's very useful.

And yes, what I am implying is that if it works with a Mozilla-based rendering engine, than I would say use one of them rather than IE. The interfaces are faster, the browsers render faster than IE, so if it works for you, than I'd say move on from IE, microsoft is leaving everyone hanging anyways.

Printing
Authored by: ryangreenberg on Mar 26, '04 12:45:57PM

I use and like Safari for everything EXCEPT printing. It's abysmal when compared with IE. Internet Explorer gives you move control over fitting on pages, previews, printing graphics, and so forth. Even when exporting to PDF, I prefer to use Internet Explorer.

Printing
Authored by: osxpounder on Mar 26, '04 06:53:23PM

ryan, perhaps today's hint about printing in Safari will help:

---
osxpounder

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: sofstrad on Mar 26, '04 02:57:14PM

I hate Safari and his brushed metal look. I hate Safari and his lack of "Print" button in the toolbar. I hate Safary for his way to manage URL import.
For all these reasons, I still use Internet Explorer 5.2.3. This hint is very useful, so thank you robg :-)

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: Azark on Mar 26, '04 09:02:19PM

You can easily change Safari's look to Aqua.
But even with the brushed metal, are you sure IE looks better??
Command + P, is not so hard.
I don't know what URL import problem you're talking about.
Anyway I feel sorry for you, IE is a pain in the ...

---
PB Ghz 1024MB Combo 10.3.2
G4 400 AGP 768MB 10.3.2

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: kupietz on Apr 16, '04 07:29:34PM

Yeah, great hint for those of us still happily ensconced in the "I'm still using IE" crowd. (Before anyone asks: IE is slower, more freeze-prone, put out by a company I hate associating with, lets me select options from popup menus in web page forms by typing the first few letters, lets me see more than just my 20 most recent downloads, and saves "web archives" which preserve the exact URLs and all embedded objects in a tree of web pages so you can browse entire websites even when you're not connected to the internet, and until Safari includes features like the last three I will happily put up with the first three in IE. I sometimes use Web Archives 10 times a day and cannot live without it. And the inflexible 20-download limit in Safari's Downloads window makes me cross because it's just plain lazy design. This isn't an invitation to debate, just an explanation of why some of us like this hint!)

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: hderycke on Mar 27, '04 08:19:55AM

Except that there are some sites that require Internet Explorer.
Like my employer's (employees-only) site, which not only requires IE, but actually closes your browser window if you have the gall to approach it with another browser.

---
E pur si muove

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: deleted_user18 on Mar 27, '04 01:22:19PM

Have you ever tried Firefox for lame websites that require a certain browser? With its default Aqua theme it looks very much like a native OS X browser. Firefox is based on Mozilla/Netscape and a very fast and modern browser. To me it looks better than IE (which is declared dead by M$ anyway).

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: Darukaru on Mar 27, '04 10:49:43PM

Which is when you turn on Safari's debug menu and tell it to spoof user-agent strings. ;)

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: osxpounder on Mar 29, '04 12:56:39PM

Automatically closes the browser? That's a bad idea. Anything that behaves unexpectedly is bound to generate confusion, and maybe even cost the company lost time/productivity [i.e., money]. They should instead deliver a web page that instructs the user to use whatever browser, and do nothing automatically. Users will learn, after a few forgetful attempts, to use the company's chosen browser, and meanwhile there will be no calls to tech support, no wasted time retrying the site, etc.

---
osxpounder

Update Internet Explorer's look for 10.3
Authored by: Nostromo1965 on Mar 29, '04 01:51:24PM

...or, you could get the lazy web designers at your company to get off their lazy asses and actually create a page that conforms to OPEN standards and not "Microsoft standards."

It kills me when I see a page that "requires" Explorer -- when it's just sloppy, lazy web designers.