Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: aboswell on Mar 16, '04 10:46:34AM
I am wondering why opening the terminal and typing
sudo rm -r filename
or some such would'nt work. If for some reason that doesn't, create a root account and log into that. I agree that if you can boot into OS9, that is a great solution, I can't so...

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: macevangelist on Mar 16, '04 11:28:45AM

I agree with aboswell, never had a file that I couldn't delete with the rm command in the terminal. I usually have plenty of DV files that are way over 8GB. I would like to see the error message of the rm command when run as root for that file that was only deletable with Mac OS 9.

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: gospodin_david on Mar 16, '04 11:42:29AM

I think that you meant to say "sudo rm -f filename" -f is for force, -r is for recursive.

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: macevangelist on Mar 16, '04 11:59:11AM
-f is for 'shut up and delete'. From man rm:

-f          Attempt to remove the files without prompting for confirma-
                 tion, regardless of the file's permissions.  If the file does
                 not exist, do not display a diagnostic message or modify the
                 exit status to reflect an error.  The -f option overrides any
                 previous -i options.

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: enigmamf on Mar 16, '04 01:34:25PM

Force is a good mnemonic, whereas "shut up and delete" is, uh, not.

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: macevangelist on Mar 17, '04 11:16:51AM

when using the -f flag every question about privileges is being answered with yes and errors are not prompted to the screen. how does that have anything to do with "force"?

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: stcanard on Mar 16, '04 02:43:56PM

Best bet is that something still had the file open; obviously going to OS9 would fix that issue.

If you ever have a file you absolutely cannot delete, go to terminal and try:

lsof <filename>

That will list all processes that have the file open. Killing the process will allow you to delete the file. 99% of the time this is the issue with something like this.

Use OS 9 to delete huge files that OS X won't delete
Authored by: hbwiner on Mar 16, '04 05:26:12PM

I have found that on occasion I will need to change the permissions on the file before it will allow me to delete it, even if I am logged in as root.

chmod 777 filename