Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the '10.3: Print from Windows XP to a shared Mac printer' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: chris_on_hints on Mar 13, '04 10:00:59AM

This is quite simple to do - in Jaguar and Panther. Just use CUPS, no samba needed (I think).

Turn on Printer sharing and make sure your firewall is open on port 631.

Go to the Mac and enter "127.0.0.1:631" in your web browser. This takes you to CUPS. Set up a NEW printer (in ADDITION to the printer setup you use to print from the mac) choosing a short name with no spaces and NOT TOO LONG. 8 letters should be plenty. Adding more than 12 or so will stop windows using it (cos windows is stupid). Tell CUPS where your printer is, but set it up as "raw". You can give it a description if you like.

Go to the PC (mine is running XP) and add a new printer. Dont browse for it, just go to the box that lets you type an internet address and enter:
http:/your.mac.IP:631/printers/nameofprinter
Then, install the correct printer driver on the PC. By setting the mac up to allow "raw" access to the printer, you get all the functionality of the PC driver.

There were previous hints to this - search for them and im sure they will aggree with what i have put.

Authored by: bigkeefer on Mar 14, '04 05:38:45AM

Brilliant hint to use internet printing instead of browsing. Many thanks! Windoze XP can now find my printer on my Mac - but when it comes to ask for a driver for it I cannot find it to supply it!

I have a HP PSC 2115 and have downloaded all the drivers and s/w for it for XP (172 meg!) and installed it. However, XP still does not have it in the list of known machines - and browsing through the entire directories ("have disk") of the aforementioned installed s/w does not seem to provide what Windows needs to install the drivers! (It doesn't recognise a driver for my printer!)

Anybody else come across this or got any hints?

Much appreciated in advance.

Authored by: gonadman on Mar 21, '04 03:52:57PM

This is exactly the hint I needed. I set up an extra RAW printer in CUPS and it worked perfectly from Windows XP. Thanks a lot!

---
@B)=

Authored by: zvenx on Mar 28, '04 07:09:03AM

Hi, I tried the cups method to get my windows xp machines to print to the HP deskjet 930C attached to my emac on X.3.3.
Now windows sees the printer and allows me to add it. but anything I print from XP, never reaches the printer, the printer remains idle.
thanks,
rsp

Authored by: Doum on Mar 31, '04 05:59:02AM

to enable row printing in CUPS You should make some changes in files mime.convs and mime.types :
full instructions see on http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021101062604548&query=print

Authored by: lmartinage on Apr 16, '04 06:48:02AM

I tried your recommendation but without success. I am using Panther but I did install GIMP-PRINT with CUPS. Not sure I needed to do that. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 750 printer. Anyway, I followed your directions on the MAC and then on the PC. The PC is running XP. I used the the raw setup on the MAC and the EPSON 750 driver on the PC. Everything seemed to load OK. However when I print a document from the PC it never happens. Printing from the MAC is fine. Any suggestions. Thanks, Lou

---
LouM

Authored by: pmorelli on Apr 18, '04 08:06:57PM

I had a little bit of trouble with this, but managed to work out the few kinks.

Basically, I saw that every job on the windows side had "error".

After looking at the error logs for cups on the mac box (/var/log/cups/), I noticed this line repeatedly:

print_job: Unsupported format 'application/octet-stream'!

Did some googling, and found a post with the answer:

> You probably need to uncomment the following lines in
> /etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs:
> /etc/cups/mime.types:
> #application/octet-stream
> /etc/cups/mime.convs:
> #application/octet-stream application/vnd.cups-raw 0
> -
> That will allow raw printing.

Then, kill -HUP the cups daemon, and you're good to go.

Authored by: brucedelaplain on May 25, '05 02:37:08AM

Hi,
I just found this comment when looking to solve what appears to be the same problem. I have installed a photosmart 7900 series printer on my power mac g5 and shared it. After much research, I found out about connecting to the printer via a url that included a :631 (which seems terribly obscure to me. There must be a more end-user method also).

In any case, after installing the printer on my XP pc laptop as a network printer I tried printing, but every job goes into an "error" status. i found nothing in Help to explain the "error" status. But after reading your comment I went into a Terminal session (first time). I went to the directory and file you described and, sure enough, found the same error message.

Your comment says to modify certain files to allow raw printing and then to kill a daemon.

I'm uncomfortable with getting into the bowels of the operating system like this. Can you explain why this should be done? Also, I don't know how to do what you suggest (re modifying files and killing daemons).
Thanks a lot,
Bruce

Authored by: masukomi on May 03, '04 12:17:43PM

When attempting to add a printer via the web interface it asked me for a username and password. Well, after a while spend rummaging through docs I found that this was the root username and passy for your comp. Of course the root account is disabled by default so you have to use NetInfo Manager to enable the root account and set a password before you can make this work.

Authored by: walglynn on May 16, '04 12:55:45AM

Sorry if I am too stupid to understand but when I follow this I am asked by CUPS for a logon and password - which one do I need?

Authored by: Fieldson on May 17, '04 01:48:21PM

I was having problems getting the CUPS interface to work because of the name and password drop-down too.

Using the user-name "root" and it's associated password you can get past this obstacle. If you don't know what the root user is, check Apple's knowledgebase article about enabling the root user:

If this doesn't get you going, post again. There were more complications to my root user story, but they shouldn't be happening to you.

Authored by: pguelpa on May 25, '04 10:27:01PM

Just a note, if you don't want to have to use static IP's I found that I could use my computer name.

ie. http://your.mac.IP:631/printers/nameofprinter
becomes

where 'name' is the name of your computer. I haven't tried it with any name but I would suggest a short name without any special characters. Also in OS X 10.2 I could use 'name.local' but in 10.3 I used just 'name'

Hope this helps someone,

Paul

Authored by: armin40 on Jun 04, '04 10:28:54AM

Well, I tried to setup a printer Canon i950 connected to a TiBook400 with OS 10.3.4 as described also from "chris_on_hints on Sat, Mar 13 '04 at 10:00AM". Installing the printer with CUPS on the Mac, works fine. Printersharing on the Mac is on!!! On the PC then with Windows XP I find the printer, doing the setup and...her ends everything. Trying to print a testpage from XP gives me an error, will say no printing.
Additionell I shall say that both computer are on the same hub which is on our LAN (Windows NT).
Are there some hints , also how to print in the opposite direction, will say printer on XP, sharing there and then printing from OSX.
Thanks
Armin

Authored by: Kutter on Feb 01, '05 02:50:49PM

Wow - I finally got it working. It took quite a while b/c of the bug in 10.3 with the shadow passwords and CUPS. However once I got the password changed to basic I was able to log into CUPS and add the network printer.

I then had a bit of problem finding it on the PC side. The key was adding .local to the end of my computer's name. This allowed Windows to find it and amazingly I am know able to print off my Windows machines to my LaserJet HP1200 connected to a G5.

Here is what I typed to find the printer where "name" is the name of your computer.

Thanks for all the info.

Authored by: rduncan10 on Mar 01, '05 07:40:55PM

This just isn't working for me. I type the name of my printer's URI into Windows (http://simon:631/printers/hp950c) in the XP printer wizard and it says it cannot connect.

I tried it with and without ".local".

If I type the address into a web browser, it brings up the CUPS page for the printer, so I know the address is good. I just don't understand what step I'm missing.

Thanks,
Rob Duncan

Authored by: Kutter on Mar 09, '05 11:18:01AM

Just to update:

My desktop running Windows XP Pro continues to work well printing to the HP LaserJet hooked up to the G5. However I recently tried to setup my Viao laptop running XP Home and it did not work. The laptop is on the network and seems to work well otherwise but it cannot find the network printer.

When I enter:

http://NAMEOFCOMPUTER.local.63\NAMEOFPRINTER as I did on the desktop I get a message saying "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server. For more information, click Help."

So obviously there is some difference in the network setup between the Mac and my desktop vs the Mac and my laptop. Not sure how to get around this one....

Authored by: Kutter on Mar 09, '05 11:26:16AM

One more update - I got printing working from the laptop too.

For the laptop I had to use the following in the print setup box:

I had to drop the .local which I needed on my desktop. Weird but I'm now printing successfully off of both machine.

I hope this helps someone out.

Authored by: NovaScotian on Jun 20, '04 01:07:05AM

After reading this thread and trying many of the suggestions, not one of which worked, I've set up the perfect system. A long USB extension cable runs to the USB hub where my Epson Inkjet and hp LaserJet are plugged into my G4. When I have to print from XP to one of the G4 printers, I pull its USB cable out of the hub and plug it into the USB extension cable. Works every time, and was cheap! So much for the wonders of CUPS.

Authored by: jverd on Sep 22, '04 12:03:38AM

crud crud crud crud crud.

Very disappointed with OS X's alleged "shared with windows" setup. It's almost as painful as windows that can only be resized from the lower right corner.

Anyway...

I forget which is panther and which is Jaguar, but here's what I've got:

Darwin ***** 7.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.5.0: Thu Aug 5 19:26:16 PDT 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.7.21.obj~3/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

So I turn on WIndoze sharing and printer sharing, try browsing for printers on my XP laptop. The dialog has Microsoft Windows Network, and under that root, MSHOME. That's it. No Mac, no printers, no squat.

Tried the CUPS suggestion, but couldn't log in. It didn't like the root user/password. Yes, I set root's password. I can ssh and su to root, but CUPS doesn't like it.

Any suggestions?

(SIde note: Sharing drives doesn't work either. Windows never finds them.)

Sharing Mac's printer with XP--authentication?
Authored by: jverd on Oct 23, '04 05:51:04PM

D'OH!

Okay, I"m an idiot.

It might have helped if I'd reconnected the 2nd ethernet card on the Mac--that is, the one that goes to the router, instead of to the hub hanging off the cable modem. Once I put the Mac on the LAN, things started moving along nicely...

...BUT I'm not quite there yet.

I can't seem to authenticate. I read some SAMBA docs and the man page, but can't figure out how to get the Mac to allow the XP laptop to connect. XP sees the printer, it's just not allowed to use it.

Authored by: guitard00d on Feb 15, '05 02:18:10PM

Man, I'm still getting nowhere with this and it makes no sense why.

First I tried the SAMBA route and I can see my HP Photosmart 1115 connected to my Mac-Mini in the "My Network Places" on my Windows 2000 machine. But no matter what I try, Windows always says "Access Denied, unable to connect". This is odd because there is a user account on my Mac-Mini with the exact same user ID and password as I'm using on the Windows 2000 machine.

Okay, well then, let's try the CUPS route. I tried to add a network printer in Windows and gave it the URL to the printer on the Mac-Mini, same thing, cannot connect to the printer because of an Access Denied response. However, if I type that URL into my web browser, I get printer admin page and and print a CUPS test page from there just fine.

There's obviously some trick here that I'm just not getting. Does anybody here know if anybody has ever created a "Mac OS X Printer Sharing for Dummies" how-to? I'm sad to say that I would need this because I've shared printers through CUPS on Linux more times than I can count. But I just stepped into the Mac OS X world this week and I'm finding that the built in help is really detail-limited.

---
I know you believe you understand what you
think I said, but I'm not sure you realize
that what you heard is not what I meant...
--Richard Nixon

10.3: No success in authenticating when trying to add printer in the CUPS
Authored by: Eran Sharon on Nov 29, '05 04:24:39PM

Great forum, guys!
I am really glad I found htis and the solution sounds great,
However, when trying to add printer in CUPS I couldn't go past the authentcation, even when using an administrator password. I even created a new user with no password and allowed that user to administer the Mac - no luck.

Does anyone know why I can't authenticate using any username, including one I have created while logged as the computer administrator?

The above question may beling to another topic but since I am trying to do the exact same thing I thought it can still find a home in this thread.

Thank you very much!
Eran

10.3: No success in authenticating when trying to add printer in the CUPS
Authored by: grapouitte on Apr 28, '06 04:33:15AM

hmmmmm.... I guess it is very late to reply but anyway....

you have to use the root password (login: root ; p/w: ???) to log on to cups.

If you don't know it, in terminal, as administrator type

sudo root

you will be prompted for YOUR password, and will have the chance to set a new (!) p/w for the root .