Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Restart quickly via fast user switching' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Restart quickly via fast user switching
Authored by: rufo on Mar 12, '04 11:37:09AM

I'm not sure what exactly he means by this... If you try to shut down or restart the computer while two users are logged in, a dialog comes up asking for an administrator's username and password, informing you that by continuing all other users will lose unsaved changes. My understanding (and perhaps I'm wrong here) is that OS X will basically just kill every process belonging to that user without giving it a chance to clean up after itself. While most programs should deal with this OK, I'm still reluctant to come anywhere near endorsing that as a good thing to be doing on a semi-regular basis. Besides the obvious problem of losing all your unsaved documents, programs leave temp files around, preferences might not be saved, a program could be killed in the middle of writing important data to disk and in the process corrupt a data file. I'm not saying any of this will happen, but it still seems like a poor thing to be doing unless absolutely necessary.

If the poster means something else by it... then all bets are off and everybody can just ignore me. ;)

Restart quickly via fast user switching
Authored by: schneb on Mar 12, '04 12:20:48PM

Sounds to me like it just restarted the login partition and not the core system.

Restart quickly via fast user switching
Authored by: Kriek on Mar 12, '04 12:45:40PM

This is not true, I have 3 user accounts set-up, 2 of them are admin accounts, one is a regular user. Whenever you try to reboot in either one account you have to supply an admin username + password.

Restart quickly via fast user switching
Authored by: Saint on Mar 12, '04 01:34:23PM

here's my question:
why did you restart after installing a screen saver?
if it was somescreensaver.saver, I'm pretty damn sure nothing would tell you to restart, cause there is no need to restart.
was it some sort of bastard/stupid independently installed screensaver that doesn't run thru system prefs?

Restart quickly via fast user switching
Authored by: PaulB on Mar 13, '04 01:00:16AM

READ! He said: "I mistakenly rebooted from her account after adding a new screensaver."
So: he acknowledges that is was a mistake to do in the first place, but doing something mistakenly, he thought he discovered something new and is sharing that with the rest of the world!

Restart quickly via fast user switching
Authored by: johnq on Mar 15, '04 06:20:05AM
---

---
He doesn't "acknowledge it was a mistake to do in the first place". He seems to be saying that the mistake part was not that he rebooted, but that he "rebooted from her account".

For all we know he still thinks you need to reboot anytime you add screensavers.