Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'Another key and a comment' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Another key and a comment
Authored by: grika on Dec 06, '01 02:43:27PM

Startup holding the "t" key causes computers with built-in FireWire to boot into "Target" mode which makes the computer act like a FireWire Drive (the FireWire symbol will float around the screen). Good for troubleshooting and super fast networkless data transfer.

Also, the boot drive selection screen achieved by holding down the option key on startup, is known as the "Picker".

How does the picker work
Authored by: greggomer on Dec 06, '01 03:52:16PM

I use the Picker a lot on my G4 with multiple drives, it lets me choose which drive to boot off of. But when I use it on my Brothers Ibook which has only one partition, only one option is shown, the default in startupdisk. So how do I change that from say OS 9 to OS X?

Thanks,

Greg Montgomery

How does the picker work
Authored by: Hes Nikke on Dec 06, '01 06:39:24PM

if your brothers iBook has Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X on the same partition, the picker will only show the 1st OS it finds.

if it is partitioned (like on my TiBook) it'll show the 1st OS it finds on any partition (Partition 1 - Mac OS 9.2.1, Partition 2 - Mac OS X, Partition 3 - Mac OS 9.2.2, used for classic)

also the Picker only works on UMA and newer macs, that means any iBook, slot loading iMac, AGP PowerMac, and >= Pismo PowerBooks.

the boot other featurs added with UMA was FireWire Target Disk mode (T), FireWire Booting, and forced Mac OS X boot (X)

so here is your solution:

if your Brothers iBook defaults to a Mac OS 9boot, just boot with the X key, to get into Mac OS X
if it boots into 9, use the Picker (as far as i know, the picker always sees 9 1st)

Thanks
Authored by: greggomer on Dec 06, '01 08:06:03PM

Thanks for the tip, I can't tell you how much time that is going to save us in the long run.

How does the picker work
Authored by: raynehem on Dec 07, '01 06:51:05PM

When I use the option it defaults to X and shows the 9.2.2 drive, but the arrows keys does not move. Any ideas on how to select it?

How does the picker work
Authored by: mithras on Dec 08, '01 08:16:55AM

Use the mouse.

How does the picker work
Authored by: raynehem on Dec 07, '01 07:04:16PM

Another key and a comment
Authored by: Mikey-San on Dec 08, '01 12:52:14AM

Actually, the region of firmware that allows you to choose a boot device by holding option at startup has a real name. It's called the "Startup Manager".

The boot device can also be specified in Open Firmware, but one wrong step could make your machine inoperable, so it's recommended that people use the Startup Manager.

-/-