Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Windows | 34 comments | Create New Account
Click here to return to the 'Windows' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Windows
Authored by: rufo on Feb 18, '04 05:07:55PM

You know, as much flask as I'm going to get for this I would kill for a version of this that worked with Windows. (e.g., I have a Windows boxen that unfortunately I must develop on - it would be awesome if I could work on the windows box and then just slide the cursor over to the Mac. I have RDC, which kinda sorta lets me do that from the Mac host, but it would be great to do it from a Windows-hosted type thing.)

That, and I would've killed for this years ago when I had a PB 1400 and my old Performa 6205. I even tried to write this, but my C skills just weren't anywhere near what they needed to be.

Ah well, yet another attempt at fame and fortune gone forever. :D

Windows
Authored by: ChiefTypist on Feb 18, '04 05:55:34PM

I totally agree -- being able to type & click on a Windows PC without switching keyboards would be awesome.

It's not totally out of the question either -- as long as you can get the UDP packets from your Mac over to the target (controllable host) and feed them to a Win32 API (or USB driver) you'd be set.

This should do it
Authored by: hamarkus on Feb 18, '04 06:11:58PM

As I understand it, this shareware should be able to do it:

Windows
Authored by: andhi on Feb 18, '04 06:15:39PM

KMremoteControl enables you to operate/"remote control" all the PC/Windows and/or Mac OS X systems from the keyboard and mouse on one of those systems. If you have multiple such computer systems on your desk, KMremoteControl:
enables you to operate all the systems from the keyboard and mouse on one of those systems (especially useful for laptop users)

(for registration of this shareware program every single computer has to be connected to the internet)

Windows Solution - check out win2vnc
Authored by: crobertson on Feb 18, '04 08:29:09PM
I'm doing just that right now! It took me ages to find a solution, but the one I stumbled across is doing the trick. I had anonymously submitted my setup as a hint a month or two ago, but it never showed up on the boards. Anyway, here's my original post:
I have a Windows 2000 desktop computer and an iBook at home, and for the longest time I was trying to find a cross-platform solution to share my mouse and keyboard between the computers. I didn't want to use a KVM switch because I want to be able to instantly switch computers. But I only want to use one keyboard and mouse!

I first became aware of software for Windows called Desktop Rover by Neslo Software. I started searching for Mac software, and found the open source project iROS. Despite its rough edges, it's brilliant in that it uses Rendezvous to discover other Macs and establish the connection. Unfortunately, the Mac version doesn't currently work with the Windows version.

I finally found my solution in a piece of software called Win2VNC for Windows. It sets up a VNC link to another computer, but doesn't open a window on the Windows PC. Instead, the mouse pointer simply moves over to the Mac's screen. Of course, on the Mac side one needs to be running a VNC server. The Share My Desktop application does a great job. Just make sure that the firewall has the correct ports open. I believe ports 5800 and 5900 both must be open if you are sharing as screen 0.

So the process to start sharing is straightforward:

1. Start up Share My Desktop
  2. Click on the 'Start Sharing' button
  3. Run Win2VNC on the PC, typing in the IP address of the Mac and the password
  4. Voila! You are connected. Change the connection options on Win2VNC to 'Swap mouse buttons 2 and 3' and set the Direction to suit your setup.

The solution is not ideal, but it does let me have my CRT monitor display my Windows desktop and my iBook LCD show the Mac desktop while using a single mouse and keyboard. The copy and paste mechanism only works for me when I copy text in Windows and paste on the Mac. Win2VNC also seems to get confused in multi-monitor situations. In that case I set the direction to be 'North' off of the primary monitor and it works reasonably well.

Mac to Windows - for free
Authored by: bhaveshp on Feb 19, '04 03:12:50AM

I submitted this tip to MacWindows a few weeks back - works great for me!

I've got a dual-headed desktop, though one is my G4 and the other is my Dell. Until today I've had two keyboards and mice on the desk to control each machine.

Today I saw osx2x mentioned on MacInTouch. This free software allows you to use a single Keyboard/Mouse with multiple machines over a network connection - either X Window (unix/linux) or VNC (Windows).

So I installed VNC server on my Dell and osx2x on my G4. Now when I roll the Mac mouse off the left edge of my Mac Display, the mouse rolls over onto my PC display. Keyboard control follows.

Very slick and no KVM needed!

Synergy?
Authored by: jmike on Mar 13, '05 06:23:01PM

I'm using synergy (http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/) between two Macs, but others in my office are using it between two Windows machines and it's supposed to support Linux as well. It's Open Source, but the UI, at least on the Mac version is limited to config files, so it's a bit of a chore to set up initially.