Submit Hint Search The Forums LinksStatsPollsHeadlinesRSS
14,000 hints and counting!

Click here to return to the 'A how-to guide to transcode DVD to Divx' hint
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
A how-to guide to transcode DVD to Divx
Authored by: rickg17 on Feb 10, '04 12:34:56PM

Handbrake looks pretty nice. Also check out DVDibbler (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdibbler/)

DVDibbler
Authored by: pwharff on Feb 10, '04 03:52:39PM

I decided to try out DVDibbler and everytime it gives me this error message: "DVDibbler Application Supprt does not exist or has been incorrectly installed. See DVDibbler Help for instructions."

I checked the help and there isn't anything there for this problem. I tried to manually create the "DVDibbler" folder in ~/Library/Application\ Support/. And I searched their site for info and couldn't find anything but someone who had the same problem with no answer. I tried this program on 3 different Macs so far with all having the same problem. Dang it, I really wanted to try this as "HandBrake" takes forever, 8 hours on a 1.2Ghz G4.

handbrake speed
Authored by: Lectrick on Feb 10, '04 04:08:25PM

I have a powerbook 1.25ghz. I don't see how this can be much faster than your G4 1.2ghz. I can rip a 1.5hr movie in just over 3 hrs. I noticed that choosing XviD is a LOT slower than ffmpeg. Try that option from the popup.

---
In /dev/null, no one can hear you scream

Handbrake VERY slow
Authored by: SOX on Feb 10, '04 10:19:03PM

I'm running handbrake right now on an 800Mhz imac ripping a normal length movie (no css). it says it will take about 10 hours to finish. Yikes! It is getting essetially all of the cpu time and is not memory starved. I'm ripping of the hard drive video Tos folder not off a DVD.

I have it set for a target size of 4600MB and two passes (1 pass did not seme to go faster).

I noticed an odd effect, the program runs faster if it is not the foreground app and it runs even faster if you use fast user switching to change to another user. It appears that when the app is on screen it burns up a lot of windowserver process time on the CPU and slows down. weird.

Can anyone explain to me the following
1) what is the tradeoff of one versus 2 passes
2) what I really want is an application that can compress a 7-gig video-tos folder (a typical 2-layer dvd size) just enough to fit on a 4.7Gb dvd. compressing further has no benefits to me. I want the highest quality. I view it on an RGB projector not a TV so I want full resolution. I suspect there might be a better application for achieving this. In fact I suspect there might even be a way to trim the original DVD by just throwing out special feature files. But I dont know which ones to keep/throw. Finally it woul dbe nice to write the results out in a Video-tos format that a regular dvd player couldplay. any tips?

DavideoX
Authored by: ezthrust on Feb 11, '04 02:43:00AM

I have been fooling around with this program for a couple days now, with varying degrees of success. It lets you specify the medium that you want to burn onto and conforms the file to that size. If I can get it to work, this will be the best program I have found.

DavideoX
Authored by: SOX on Feb 11, '04 11:17:17AM

What sort of problems does it have?

DVD - DVD-r
Authored by: lebnjay on Feb 11, '04 03:13:27AM

What you need is DVD2onex, an amazing program.
It transcodes the dvd to your specified file size in about half an hour, and looks great. Really the only software to use for working with dvd folders.
For more information on this topic you could check out the mac video forum at:

Here is a very thorough tutorial, choose the beginner one:

-lebn

DVD - DVD-r
Authored by: SOX on Feb 11, '04 11:12:26AM

Thanks! Now, to be cheap, I wonder if there is less expensive program than this one. Its $50 plus shipping. And there's no indications about what sort of arifcats/quality it creates and no pressure to optimize these like in open source.

DVD - DVD-r
Authored by: danielbaars on Feb 11, '04 12:19:50PM

Believe me, DVD2One is WELL worth the money! Quality is amazing unless you push it too hard (like trying to fit two 8gig DVDs on one 4gig DVD-R - still watcheable by the way but obviously not as good as the original).

DVD - DVD-r
Authored by: lebnjay on Feb 11, '04 06:51:14PM

Dvd20nex is shareware so you can download it from their page and try it out. It will process the first 30 minutes of your movie exactly like it does the full thing so you can see the quality for yourself. Then if you decide to buy it you are just paying for the serial number that you enter from the program.
I'd give it a try and see what you think.
The development of this was pretty amazing, this program existed for windows first. Then under pressure from the mac community, especially those at the dvdrhelp.com forums, the developer bought a g4 and wrote it for the mac also. He was able to put out a fully working program for os x in just a matter of weeks. If you were trying to do what this program does before it came out, you needed several different programs and many many hours of waiting for all the different steps to complete.
-lebn